Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

CIC News
Published: November 27, 2013

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers:I understand that when my immigration application is accepted for review, I will receive an Acknowledgement of Receipt from the government. Will this be received by mail or email? What if I have changed my address?

Acknowledgement of Receipts (AOR) are being issued by mail and email, depending on the office and the type of application.  At the present time, it is difficult to know in advance how an AOR will issued.  It is, therefore, important to ensure that you inform the Visa Office of any address changes.  Alternatively, you may retain an Attorney as your representative, in which case all communication will be sent to your Attorney’s address.

I do not think I will be able to obtain police clearances from my country of residence. Is there any way I can explain this to the visa officer reviewing my file?

It is possible to submit a Declaration to the Visa Office explaining why you are unable to obtain a required document, like a police clearance. It is important to keep in mind that it is the Visa Officer’s discretion whether to accept or reject any such explanation for a missing police report. Since police reports are essential for a Visa Officer to determine whether an applicant is inadmissible to Canada, it would be highly advisable to make all out efforts to provide the Visa Office with all required police reports.

For spousal sponsorship, how does the government know if you have been in a 'legitimate relationship' with your partner?

The Visa Officer makes a decision about the legitimacy of a spousal relationship based on the documents submitted with the application. Where the Visa Office has concerns that are not addressed by the application and available documents, they have the right to ask for more documentation or call the applicants to an interview.

How can I know for sure whether or not my summary (misdemeanor) offense makes me inadmissible to Canada?

Foreign offences must be equated to the Canadian Criminal Code and other federal statutes to determine whether the offense makes a person inadmissible or not. Even if it is equivalent under Canadian law, you may be deemed rehabilitated or have the opportunity to submit a rehabilitation application. It is highly recommended that you obtain advice from an Attorney that is knowledgeable about criminal inadmissibility to evaluate such a matter.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete a free Canadian immigration assessment form.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
Expediting the hiring of foreign workers as an employer in Quebec
Can I travel before I receive my Canadian PR Card?
Five things to do in your first week as an international student in Canada
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Study
Five things to do in your first week as an international student in Canada
A diverse group of cheerful female college students sitting in front of a university building, talking, smiling
Nigerian students critical to ongoing success of Canada’s international education sector
Nigerian flag
Canada extending international student off-campus work hours policy until April 2024
Group of multiethnic classmates in casual clothes smiling and analyzing data on netbook while gathering near table and working on project in university library
IRCC to increase cost-of-living requirement for study permit applicants
A group of students in a library look pose for a picture. Canada has recently made new changes to its international student program.
Link copied to clipboard