Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

CIC News
Published: January 6, 2014

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers: 

Can a foreigner on a visitor visa apply to change to a temporary work or study visa while remaining in Canada ?

No. The first temporary work permit or study permit can only be issued when a foreign national is entering Canada at a port-of-entry. However, extensions to existing work permits or study permits can be processed while remaining in Canada.

With respect to spousal sponsorship, what is the difference between conditional and full permanent residency?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) announced new regulations for the sponsorship of spouses and common-law partners on October 25, 2012. These new regulations impose a condition that the sponsor and sponsored spouse, or common-law partner, maintain their relationship and live together for a period of two years after the sponsored spouse, or common-law partner, becomes a permanent resident. This condition is only applicable to permanent residents whose sponsorship application was submitted after October 25, 2012. This condition is not applicable if the sponsor and sponsored spouse, or common-law partner, were in a relationship for more than two years prior to submitting the sponsorship application, or if the couple have children together. This condition is also not applicable to sponsored spouses, or common-law partners, if they have been subjected to abuse or neglect, or if the sponsor dies within the two year period.

I hold a public office in my home country. I am planning to travel to Canada on vacation. Do I need to make any special considerations, given my political role back at home?

There are no restrictions on the holders of political office from visiting Canada for vacation. However, if you are from a country that requires a Visitor Visa, then you will need to apply for and obtain a Visitor Visa prior to travelling to Canada.

I have conducted the entirety of my schooling (grade school through university)in English. Do I still need to provide IELTS?

Yes. CIC now requires that the level of language proficiency be proved through results obtained in an acceptable language test. For the English language, there are only two approved tests, namely IELTS and CELPIP.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete a free Canadian immigration assessment form.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
Canada’s population grows by over one million in less than a year
Express Entry: IRCC invites 1,499 candidates in latest draw
Category-based Express Entry draws: A year in review
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Express Entry
Express Entry: IRCC invites 1,499 candidates in latest draw
Candidates have received ITAs in that latest Express Entry draw
Category-based Express Entry draws: A year in review
people in nature and smile with grandparents, parents and children bonding.
How some Express Entry candidates may benefit from category-based selection draws
Business people smiling and having a meeting in the office.
How do Express Entry draws in 2024 compare to 2023?
A man sitting at a table looking intently at his laptop.
Link copied to clipboard