Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

CIC News
Published: April 1, 2014

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers:

Can I still submit a Quebec Skilled Worker application after March 31, 2014?

Yes. The Government of Quebec has announced that it will accept a maximum of 6,500 applications under the Skilled Worker category between April 1st, 2014 and March 31st, 2015. This cap does not include applications submitted under the Programme de l’expérience québécoise (PEQ) or applications supported by validated job offer from an employer based in Quebec. Any applications submitted April 1st 2014 will be subject to the regulations and selection criteria in force at the time of application submission.

When reading about immigration, I frequently see the abbreviation “NOC”. What is an NOC, and what relevance does it have for prospective immigrants?

“NOC” stands for National Occupational Classification. The Government of Canada has created the NOC coding system for classifying occupations. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) uses the NOC coding system to evaluate the employment history of prospective immigrants. This system allows the CIC to decide whether your work experience qualifies as “skilled work”, as well as your work experience matches any eligible occupations

I currently hold a Green Card (US Permanent Residency). Will this be of benefit to me in a work or immigration application?

A permanent resident of USA, or US Green Card holder, does not currently require a Visit Visa to visit Canada. Otherwise, there are no Canadian Immigration benefits accruing from being a permanent resident of the US. There are some benefits available to citizens of the USA under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) that allow for facilitated temporary work permits, but these are not available to foreign nationals who hold a Green Card.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete a free Canadian immigration assessment form.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
New data suggests growing demand for temporary foreign workers in several Canadian industries
Ontario, British Columbia, Manitoba, and PEI nominate newcomers for provincial immigration
IRCC’s update on its plan to attract global talent
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Canada
IRCC’s update on its plan to attract global talent
Sunlight on an airplane wing
Study finds more newcomers are considering moving to escape housing costs
Typical homes in Canada
How to take a break from your studies and maintain eligibility for a work permit
A student at the airport looking at flight times.
Two Canadian cities among the most livable in the world, as Toronto drops out of the top 10
A view of the sunset in Calgary at a lake.
Link copied to clipboard