CIC News > Latest News > Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Font Style

Font Size

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more.

Here are this month’s questions and answers.

1. I have friends who were granted permanent resident visas. When they applied for the said visas, they were common-law partners, as they cohabited without the benefit of marriage. Can they possibly enter into a contract of marriage in the Philippine before going to Canada? Will it affect their present visa?

Any change in civil status should be reported immediately to Canadian immigration authorities, even when such a change may cause a delay in the processing of the visa application.

Changes in civil status that occur after a visa is issued but before the applicant has landed in Canada must also be reported to Canadian immigration authorities.

2. I am a 35 year-old postgraduate with 11 years of work experience. I am acting as an accompanying spouse in the Express Entry system. The Principal Applicant (PA), my wife, is a 34 year-old postgraduate. Her Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score is 371 and mine is 390. She was made PA because I thought the prospects of her getting a job was better with job NOC code 2231(electrical and electronics engineering). I am a construction engineer. Now I observe that the number of jobs listed under my occupation is double that of hers. Is it possible that I create a fresh profile with me as the PA, while also keeping her profile in the pool?

Yes, this is possible. Some couples may see the value of having two profiles in the pool, with both partners listed as the Principal Applicant on separate profiles. You should ensure that the information provided in both profiles is consistent, as discrepancies may be seen as misrepresentation.

3. I’m planning to start my immigration application to Canada next month. I have worked in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia from 2003 to 2005 but the company that I worked for can’t provide a work certificate. I am currently working for a different company since 2006 that is willing to provide a work certificate. The question now is can I still submit my application without the work certificate from 2003-2005?

Whenever a candidate cannot provide an item listed under the required documents on the application checklist, he or she must explain why, as well as demonstrate that efforts were made to acquire the document(s) in question. Moreover, alternative documentation should be provided.

In situations where obtaining a required work document proves to be difficult or impossible, alternative documentation may include items such as pay slips, an original job offer, proof of the company folding since 2005 (if that is the case), letters from former colleagues and/or a supervisor, and taxation records. This list is just suggested items, and not exhaustive.

Also bear in mind that if documents on the required checklist are not provided and alternative documentation is provided in its place, the decision to allow the alternative documentation in lieu of the required documentation rests at the discretion of the Visa Officer overlooking the file.

© 2015 CICnews All Rights Reserved



46 thoughts on “Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

  1. Avatar
    jagjeet singh

    Sir, I have 10 years experience as a diesel machenic, but i have no ITI certificate related to this work. I have done senior secondary in 2002 and I have 5.5 band score in ilets (GT), my real sister also in saskechewen (CANADA). Is I am eligible to migrate canada in any way

  2. Avatar

    My CRS score is overall 344 at present. My wife will be the primary applicant as she is 34. I am 36 yrs. We are planning to study SAP module. Will this help me to increase my CRS score.

  3. Avatar
    John B. Mondejar

    I am a professional world class boxing coach. I had been invited to volunteer and teach in canada for atleast a year, to train potential professional canadian fighters. Is it possible for me to get a work permit and to avail for a permanent status in Canada?

  4. Avatar

    Dear Sir

    I am going to ask about the possibility to get student visa for my daughter in Bachelor level of university in Canada and also a question about the extension of my PR card.

    I am an Iranian lady and I got my PR card (Skilled worker category ) in November 2013 and just came to Canada for a short period to get that card and then came back to my country ,IRAN . Since I got divorced and I have a daughter who is 20 years old now and she lives with me and she is a student in second year of university in IRAN.

    Now, I decided to come back to Canada , since I should stay 2 years between 5 years to be able to extend The card after 5 years .The first question is that I want to know if I come to Canada in March 2017 and stay there , because I will have 4 months delay (according to my deadline to be there for 2 years between 5 years period) , does It make problem for me after 5 years when I want to extend my PR card again? The expiration date for my PR card is in November 2018.
    As I am going to open Canada student Visa file for my daughter during this time In Iran and I have to stay In Iran to start this file for her and then I can come back to Canada 4 months later(according to necessary period time between 5 years to extend the PR card later) .

    The second question is that I want to know If my daughter can receive Student Visa for Canada since I have PR card and a residence there . I am not sure Whether it makes Positive Point for her student visa file or Negative point ?

    I will be so grateful I f you can advise me about these questions .


  5. Avatar
    Dileep kumar

    Hi sir am Dileep kumar ,I have done Iti in Electrician trade ,With 10 years of experience working in manufacturing of medical equipments,I have not done Graduation my education is 10+2+1=13 years,I want to know am I eligible for Canada pr

  6. Avatar
    Ashok Modi

    Dear Sir,
    My son sponsered us in a Family Parents Vissa. Our Medical Examination completed on November-23rd, 2015.
    I wanted to how many times they takes after this for Vissa stamping?. They have yet not called for Passport.

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.