Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

David Cohen
Published: August 2, 2017

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more. Here are this month's questions and answers.

  1. I am from Cameroon, where French and English are the national languages just like in Canada. I wrote the TCF exam (Test de Connaissance du Français) as proof of French ability, plus IELTS. Will I obtain points for French knowledge under the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System?

Candidates in the pool with proven French ability may obtain additional points under the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). This additional points factor was introduced on June 6, 2017. However, please note that in order to obtain CRS points for French ability you must have taken the Test d'Évaluation de Français (TEF).

A candidate who has taken steps to prove ability in French and English may be in line for a greater number of points. In addition to the points awarded for language ability under the core human capital and skill transferability sections of the CRS, candidates with proven French ability may obtain additional points on the following basis.

French CLB* 7 or better + English CLB 4 or below (or no proven English ability) 15 CRS points
French CLB 7 or better + English CLB 5 or better 30 CRS points

*CLB = Canadian Language Benchmark

  1. I want to visit some family in Canada but I am not Canadian myself. My country, Argentina, requires a visa to come to Canada. If I come, can I leave Canada and re-enter without having to apply for another visa?

According to the directive issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to its own officers, the issuance of a multiple-entry visa should now be considered the standard and any single entry visa issuance requires an explanation. Therefore, unless the officer has particular reason to issue a single entry visa, it is probable that a multiple entry visa would be considered. This decision rests with the officer.

If or when you have a multiple entry visa, you may enter Canada, leave, and re-enter, as long as you abide by the conditions of the visa. On each entry to Canada, a visa holder will be assessed at a Port of Entry for the bona fides of their reasons for coming to Canada.

  1. Will the Parent and Grandparent Program reopen again in 2017?

It is possible that Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may invite more prospective applicants to apply to the Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP) before the end of the year.

In April of this year, IRCC announced that it had randomly selected 10,000 potential sponsors from this pool of approximately 95,000 individuals who had earlier submitted an Interest to Sponsor form, and invited them to submit a sponsorship application under the PGP. Invited individuals had 90 days from the receipt of the invitation to submit a complete application, but only around 700 had been received by early June.

At a Canadian Bar Association (Immigration Section) conference held in June, an IRCC representative stated that the department may conduct a further invitation round to invite more individuals to submit an application for the sponsorship of parents and grandparents to immigrate to Canada through the Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP).

If IRCC decides to conduct a second draw, it may occur in the coming months.

“If the department does not receive the 10,000 new applications within the stipulated timeframe, additional persons will be invited to apply [from] a randomized list of Interest to Sponsor submissions,” the IRCC spokesperson said. “If we don’t receive complete applications we will go back and draw from that existing list.”

© 2017 CICNews All Rights Reserved

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
Do I need a language test to immigrate to Canada?
IRCC increases number of permits it will process under temporary special measures for Palestinian extended family in Gaza
What kind of school should I apply to as an international student in Canada?
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Study
What kind of school should I apply to as an international student in Canada?
Two men collaborating on a computer project.
Has IRCC’s LOA verification system successfully protected Canadian international students?
Girl using laptop to have a video call with her friend
Which country allows international students to work the most hours?
teacher helping teenager students at College, learning technology and science in preparatory course for university
Who can study in Canada without a study permit?
friends in university or college bonding in a fun social conversation
Link copied to clipboard