Ontario Launches Employer Job Offer In-Demand Skills Stream
A new Canadian immigration stream has been launched by the government of Ontario. The Employer Job Offer In-Demand Skills Stream, which was announced on August 16 and opened the same day, is a pilot for workers in high-demand occupations with a job offer in Ontario.
The Employer Job Offer In-Demand Skills Stream is part of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP), which allows Ontario to nominate individuals for immigration to Canada based on criteria set by the province.
The current list of occupations includes occupations in the agriculture and construction sectors.
Applicants can only apply if they meet all eligibility criteria, have received a permanent, full-time job offer from an Ontario employer, and have a completed and signed Employer Form to upload as part of the application package.
The job offer must be in one of the following eligible occupations in National Occupation Classification (NOC) Skill Level C or D.
||Residential and commercial installers and servicers
||Heavy equipment operators (except crane)
||General farm workers
||Nursery and greenhouse workers
||Construction trades helpers and labourers
||Industrial butchers, meat cutters, poultry preparers, related workers
To be eligible to apply for the Ontario In-Demand Skills Stream, applicants must have a job offer from an eligible Ontario employer that meets the following criteria:
- Is a permanent (i.e., indeterminate) and full-time job offer in an eligible occupation in the agricultural or construction sectors (see list of eligible occupations above), and
- Meets the prevailing wage levels in Ontario for that occupation and region.
- If the applicant is already working in the position, the employer is required to meet prevailing requirements and pay a wage that is equal to or greater than the current wage.
Applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- Work Experience: Have 12 months of cumulative work experience in Ontario obtained within the 36 months before the date of the application. The work experience must be paid, full-time (or the equivalent amount in part-time) in Ontario and must be in an eligible occupation (see above). Seasonal work experience is not eligible to meet the work experience requirement for the In-Demand Skills Pilot.
- Education: Have completed the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school (high school) education or above, as demonstrated by a valid Educational Credential Assessment.
- Valid certificate or licence: Have a valid certificate or license at the time of application for any work experience claimed in an occupation that requires certification or licensing.
- Language: Have an English or a French-language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 or above in all language competencies (reading, writing, listening, and speaking).
- Settlement Funds: Have sufficient funds and/or income in Ontario.
In addition, the Ontario employer must meet the following criteria:
- Have been in active business for at least three years.
- Have business premises in Ontario where the applicant will work.
- Be in compliance with all provincial labour laws, including but not limited to employment standards, health and safety, and labour relations legislation.
- If in the Greater Toronto Area, the employer must have:
- A minimum of $1,000,000 in gross annual revenue for the most recent fiscal year, and
- Five permanent full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents (per position to be filled each calendar year) at the location where the applicant will work.
- If outside the Greater Toronto Area, the employer must have:
- A minimum of $500,000 in gross annual revenue for the most recent fiscal year, and
- Three permanent, full-time employees who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents (per position to be filled each calendar year) at the location where the applicant will work.
A permanent full-time job offer is an offer of employment with no end date and consisting of a minimum of 1,560 hours paid employment in a 12-month period with a minimum of 30 hours per week.
The Ontario Job Offer In-Demand Skills Stream is not aligned with the federal Express Entry immigration system. Successful applicants will receive a provincial nomination certificate, allowing them and accompanying family members to apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for permanent resident status.
To find out if you are eligible to immigrate to Canada permanently, fill out a free online assessment form.
© 2017 CICNews All Rights Reserved