How have government services changed for Quebec immigrants?

Shelby Thevenot
Published: April 6, 2020

Pour lire cet article en français, cliquez ici.

Quebec is still processing applications for temporary and permanent selection, though many services for immigrants have changed due to COVID-19.

Immigrants holding work or study permits in Quebec may wonder how coronavirus is going to affect their application for a selection from the province. The Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) has provided answers to some of these questions.

I have a CSQ, can I still apply for permanent residence?

Yes, Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) holders can still apply for Canadian permanent residence. Canada is still processing applications for permanent residence, and will not be refused because of missing documents. Instead, applicants will be given an additional 90 days to complete the application.

Find out if you are eligible for any Canadian immigration programs

What if I can’t work due to coronavirus?

Both the Canadian and Quebec governments have put in place financial assistance programs to help residents who have lost their jobs, or who can’t work because of coronavirus.

Quebec is offering the Temporary Aid for Workers Program, which helps those who are unable to work because they either have coronavirus, or must self isolate because they are at risk. They also may not be receiving Employment Insurance or any other government assistance program or private insurance. This funding can last from two weeks to 28 days.

Those who have lost their jobs may be eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit. This funding is for workers age 15 and older who are residing in Canada and will be without work for at least 14 consecutive days. They need to have made at least $5,000 in the 12 months preceding their date of application.

Can I submit an application for CSQ under the PEQ if I lost my job due to coronavirus?

The short answer is no.

Having a job is a requirement to apply for permanent selection through the Quebec Experience Program (PEQ) as a temporary foreign worker.

However, the 12 months of full-time work experience required to be eligible for the PEQ does not have to be done consecutively. You have 24 months to accumulate the required work experience.

Once you have resumed employment and acquired 12 months of full-time work experience, you can submit your application under the PEQ.

How do international students submit an application through the PEQ while waiting for their diploma?

MIFI will accept official transcripts and attestations of the successful completion of the study program.

International students can apply for permanent selection through the PEQ if they graduated from a Quebec post-secondary institution. The program of study must have been at least two years in duration.

After submitting your diploma, official transcript, or attestation, you have three years to apply for a CSQ. During this time you can get a Post Graduation Work Permit that will allow you to work in Quebec for up to three years. In this time you can obtain the work experience to apply as either a graduate or a temporary foreign worker.

Is it possible to submit documents in person?

It is possible to submit the documents that are intended for the Registraire de la francization in the deposit box located on the ground floor of the MIFI office in Montreal.

At this time, all other documents must be sent by mail.

Find out if you are eligible for any Canadian immigration programs

© 2020 CIC News All Rights Reserved

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
Understanding serious driving offences as a newcomer to Canada
Happy man driving car looking into rearview mirror
How quickly could artificial intelligence cost you your job?
A data analyst using technology AI for working tool for data analysis Chatbot Chat with AI, using technology smart robot AI, artificial intelligence to generate something or Help solve work problems
Canada seeking more francophones under Immigration Levels Plan 2024-2026
Stunning autumn view of Parliament Hill across the Ottawa River in Ottawa, Canada
IRCC to seek more direct input from newcomers on policy and service delivery with new advisory board
Canada's Parliament Buildings in Ottawa
Top Stories
Can I extend or renew my Post-Graduation Work Permit? 
What are my options if I need to defer my enrollment after obtaining my Canadian study permit?
Changes to Canada’s inadmissibility fees starting December 1st, 2023
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Visit
Changes to Canada’s inadmissibility fees starting December 1st, 2023
Canadian flag over Quebec city
Canada to expedite some visitor visas going forward
A mountain stream in Yoho National Park Canada
Celebrities like the Fugees denied entry to Canada: The importance of applying to overcome inadmissibility
The Fugees
Common offenses that can make you inadmissible to Canada
Edmonton skyline
Link copied to clipboard