Ontario accepting applications for internationally trained doctors to fight coronavirus

Shelby Thevenot
Published: April 10, 2020

International medical graduates who have already passed their exam to practice medicine in Canada or who graduated from medical school within the past two years now have the opportunity to apply for a temporary license that will allow them to work in Ontario.

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario is allowing candidates who have not yet secured a Canadian medical residency position to apply for Supervised Short-Duration Certificates.

These certificates will allow international medical graduates to practice in Ontario for 30 days, with the possibility to continue working for longer if their temporary license is approved for renewal.

Find out how to stay in Canada

International medical graduates in Canada may be eligible for this opportunity if they have:

  • completed a medical degree from an accredited medical school;
  • practiced medicine full-time within the previous two years (including medical school);
  • confirmation of employment from one of the approved categories of facilities laid out in the Medicine Act, including public hospitals; and
  • identified a supervisor.

In order to apply, the CPSO requires a confirmation of employment directly from the hospital, which can be sent to inquiries@cpso.on.ca.

Certificates have been issued since last month, however few doctors have applied, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reports. Ten out of the 12 doctors that applied before April 3, obtained certificates through this program.

Find out how to stay in Canada

© 2020 CIC News All Rights Reserved

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Related articles
Ontario, British Columbia and Saskatchewan invite candidates for nomination in latest draws
Aerial view of Toronto Financial District at sunset, Ontario, Canada.
Where to find your cultural community in Canada
A group of multiracial friends chilling together
These 13 colleges in Ontario will be admitting fewer international students in 2024
Two friends in a dorm room watching something on their computer screen.
As a foreign national, am I eligible for a health card in Canada?
Group of millennial people hold in arms financial papers solve and discuss problem.
Top Stories
Ontario and British Columbia invite candidates to apply for nomination in latest PNP draws
Report: Approval, processing rates drop after IRCC’s student cap
IRCC ends flagpoling services for PGWP applicants
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Work
IRCC ends flagpoling services for PGWP applicants
International students are no longer eligible to apply for their PGWP at Canada's borders.
Report recommends that Canada phase out closed work permits
Two workers in a factory are talking and smiling
What are my chances of receiving a work permit through the IEC this year?
A young man smiling in an office building while looking at his phone.
Which jobs received the most LMIAs in 2023?
A picture of a Canadian visa above an application for a Labour Market Impact Assesment.
Link copied to clipboard