Making changes to your Express Entry profile after you receive an ITA

Shelby Thevenot
Published: February 20, 2021

If you were issued an invitation through the Express Entry system, and you find some missing or out-of-date information on your profile, you might have to make a difficult decision in order to stay in good standing with the Canadian government.

Before you get your Invitation to Apply (ITA) you can make changes to your Express Entry profile without explanation. So, it goes without saying it is in your best interest to update your profile as soon as changes happen in your life that would affect your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score, or eligibility for one of the Express Entry-managed programs.

Once you receive your ITA, your Express Entry profile automatically gets recorded in the Global Case Management System (GCMS). It is up to you, the applicant, to ensure that the information is still correct before you submit your application for permanent residence. Failure to do so may cause significant consequences that affect your plans to move to Canada. If IRCC finds that you have misrepresented yourself, you may be banned from applying for Canadian immigration for five years.

When reviewing your application, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) officers assess all the documents you have submitted in  support of your application and issue a decision on your immigration application. The Canadian immigration authorities will verify the completeness of your application, as we as the content of the documents you have provided. If your application is incomplete, there is a high risk that IRCC will return your application, which is not the same as being refused.

Consult an Attorney Before Declining your ITA.

In the event that you cannot provide all the supporting documents needed on your application, you have the option to decline the ITA. There is a difference between declining an ITA and not responding.

When you decline, your profile is still active in the Express Entry pool for as long as it is valid. You can still get an ITA as long as you continue to be eligible for an Express Entry-managed program and should a draw cover your CRS score. In this case you also will maintain the maturity of your profile in the pool. This is import in case more than one candidate has the lowest score in a given Express Entry draw. In such a case the cut-off will be based on the date and time of Express Entry profile submission.

However, if you do not respond in 90 days, your ITA will expire and you will no longer be in the Express Entry pool. If this happens, you can re-enter the pool but you need to submit a new profile, granted you are still eligible for an Express Entry-managed program.

Sometimes, it is not possible to get all of the required documents. In this case, you have the option to send a letter of explanation (LOE) to the government, explaining that you did everything you could to get the documents in time but it was impossible. The government will assess LOEs on a case-by-case basis, and the outcome will be fully at the immigration officer's discretion.

It can be stressful to decline an ITA because it means going back into the Express Entry pool and waiting to be invited again. There is always the option to try and improve your CRS score to make it more likely that you will be selected again. You could do this in a number of ways, some people try improving their score on their language test, for example, or trying for a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) nomination, which automatically gets them an additional 600 points.

At the end of the day, it is just important to keep your profile as complete and accurate as you can.

Get Help Applying for Permanent Residence. Contact a Canadian Immigration Lawyer.

© CIC News All Rights Reserved. Visit to discover your Canadian immigration options.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
How to Avoid a Rejected Educational Credential Assessment
If Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) rejects your ECA your immigration process could be delayed. Keep reading to learn how to avoid a rejected ECA.
10 Frequently Asked Questions about Proof of Funds for Express Entry
young couple boyfriend and girlfriend smiling together looking at the camera
How to be considered for jobs in Canada while still in the Express Entry pool
A person having an online interview with a recruiter
IRCC now issuing invitations for Parents and Grandparents Program
A mother and son smiling towards the camera, with the backdrop of a city behind them.
Top Stories
IRCC increases number of permits it will process under temporary special measures for Palestinian extended family in Gaza
What kind of school should I apply to as an international student in Canada?
How to Avoid a Rejected Educational Credential Assessment
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Sponsor Content
How to Avoid a Rejected Educational Credential Assessment
If Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) rejects your ECA your immigration process could be delayed. Keep reading to learn how to avoid a rejected ECA.
How to improve your IELTS Score?
A woman is with an examiner from the IELTS test.
Banking for International Students: A Helpful Guide to Picking the Right Bank Account and Credit Card in Canada
There are two main types of personal deposit accounts that international students can open in Canada: chequing and savings.
Know You Are Prepared: 10 Essential Strategies for Success on CELPIP – the Only Canadian Test Designated by IRCC
If you’re applying to become a permanent resident or citizen of Canada, taking the CELPIP Test is an essential step toward your goal because it is one of the approved language tests and the only Canadian functional language assessment designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Link copied to clipboard