Can I sponsor my spouse or partner for Canadian immigration?

Kareem El-Assal
Published: October 16, 2021

Bringing families together is one of the major goals of Canada's immigration system.

The main way Canada does this is through its Spousal, Partner, and Children immigration sponsorship category. Canada looks to welcome around 80,000 immigrants through this category each year.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner to obtain Canadian permanent residence. The Department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recognizes same-sex relationships.

Looking to sponsor your partner? Complete this form so a Campbell Cohen lawyer can help you!

Eligibility criteria for sponsors

The eligibility criteria to sponsor your loved one is as follows:

  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • You are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or are registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act. If you are a Canadian citizen currently living abroad, you will need to demonstrate to IRCC you intend to live in Canada with your partner upon them gaining permanent residence. Permanent residents looking to sponsor must reside in Canada at the time of submitting their sponsorship application.
  • You must demonstrate you are not receiving social assistance unless you have a disability.
  • You must show you can meet the financial needs of your loved one in Canada.

Who you can sponsor

Sponsored individuals must be at least 18 years old and fall under one of the following groups:

  • Spouse: This means your partner is legally married to you.
  • Common-law partner: This means your partner is not legally married to you, but has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months.
  • Conjugal partner: This means your partner is not legally married to you, has been in a relationship with you for at least one year, resides outside of Canada, and is unable to marry you due to a cultural, religious, or legal obstacle. For example, interfaith marriages are restricted in your partner's country.

How to submit your sponsorship application

You need to submit two applications to IRCC: the sponsorship application and permanent residence application. IRCC asks you to submit both applications together.

Step 1: Confirm you meet the eligibility criteria to sponsor.

Step 2: Get the application package from IRCC's website.

Step 3: Pay all required fees on IRCC's website. Examples of fees include processing, right of permanent residence, and biometrics fees.

Step 4: Mail both applications together to IRCC.

Once IRCC approves the application, you and your partner must fulfil certain obligations. You are financially responsible for your loved one for at least three years. Your partner is not allowed to sponsor another person for five years after they obtain Canadian permanent residence.

Looking to sponsor your partner? Complete this form so a Campbell Cohen lawyer can help you!

© CIC News All Rights Reserved. Visit to discover your Canadian immigration options.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
Canada is still processing visas for Indian nationals
Parliament buildings in Ottawa
Nanos poll says Canadians would prefer lower immigration targets
Downtown Vancouver
I’m coming to Canada on a TRV. Can I bring my family with me?
A happy family of three relaxing in the lounge and being playful together
Report: First-time home buyers face affordability obstacles in Toronto
Toronto skyline at night.
Top Stories
Canada releases 2022 Annual Report on Express Entry
Most popular options to come to Canada from the United Arab Emirates
Mortgage 101 for New Canadians: Financing Your First Home (Part 2)
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Sponsor Content
Mortgage 101 for New Canadians: Financing Your First Home (Part 2)
Saving for your down payment is a significant step towards homeownership.
How Canada’s international students can save $1,000* with Virgin Plus
Canada is one of the world’s most welcoming destinations for international students
Mortgage 101 for New Canadians: Understanding Mortgage Basics (Part 1)
Fixed rate mortgages offer a consistent interest rate throughout the term, while variable rate mortgages have rates that fluctuate based on the prime rate of your lender.
Discover Thriving Job Opportunities and Welcoming Communities in Chatham-Kent
Link copied to clipboard