IRCC updates Express Entry proof of funds requirement

Edana Robitaille
Updated: Aug, 21, 2023
  • Published: May 2, 2023

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made an update to the proof of funds required for Express Entry candidates.

The change, which was announced on IRCC’s website today, on May 2nd, was effective on April 25.

Proof of funds amounts are updated yearly. IRCC bases the amount on 50% of the low-income cut-off totals. To stay eligible, you need to update the settlement fund numbers in your Express Entry profile.

Discover if You Are Eligible for Canadian Immigration

Proof of funds demonstrates that you have enough money to settle in Canada. Anyone who receives an invitation to apply (ITA) through an Express Entry draw must be able to show written proof that they have this money.

However, anyone applying under the Canadian Experience Class does not need to show that they have enough money to support themselves and their family.

An Express Entry candidate who is authorized to work in Canada and has a valid job offer is also exempt. This is true even if you apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program or the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

Who needs proof of funds?

You need proof of funds to meet the minimum requirements of the:

How much money do you need?

The amount of funds required changes based on the size of a candidate’s family. A family consists of:

  • yourself
  • your spouse or common-law partner
  • your dependent children and
  • your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent children

Number of
family members
Funds required
(in Canadian dollars)
If more than 7 people, for each additional family member$3,706

You must include your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children, even if they are:

  • Canadian citizens or permanent residents
  • not coming to Canada with you

How to show proof of funds

You must get official letters from any banks or financial institutions where you have an account to prove you have enough money to settle.

These letters must be printed on the financial institution’s letterhead and include:

  • the bank or institution’s contact information (address, telephone number and email address)
  • your name
  • your outstanding debts (such as credit card debts and loans)
  • these details for each current banking and investment account you have with them
  • account numbers
  • date each account was opened
  • current account balances
  • average balance for the past 6 months

IRCC says that your funds need to be available to you both when:

You must be able to show IRCC that you can legally access the money when you arrive in Canada.

For example, this means:

  • you cannot use equity on real property as proof of settlement funds
  • you cannot borrow this money from another person

Further, you must be able to use this money to pay for your family’s costs of living, even if they are not coming to Canada with you.

If you have a spouse or partner coming with you, you can count any money you have together in a joint account. You may also be able to count your spouse’s money in a separate account, but you need to prove you can access the money as needed.

How much money should you bring?

The cost of living can vary widely throughout Canada. Large cities such as Toronto and Vancouver tend to be more expensive than other locations.

IRCC advises that you should bring as much money as you can. This will make moving and finding a home in Canada easier.

The department notes that upon arriving in Canada, you must tell the border officer if you are bringing more than CAN$10,000 into the country. Failing to declare anything over that amount can result in a fine and your money being seized. This includes cash and documents that show property or capital payable to you, such as:

  • stocks
  • bonds
  • debentures
  • treasury bills

It also includes documents that guarantee payment of a set amount of money, which are payable to you, such as:

  • banker's drafts
  • cheques
  • money orders
  • travellers’ cheques

Discover if You Are Eligible for Canadian Immigration

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
Canada releases 2022 Annual Report on Express Entry
Children playing together in colourful natural park on autumn day
Most popular options to come to Canada from the United Arab Emirates
Multicultural business team putting their hands together in the middle of a circle while standing and smiling
What counts as eligible work experience for immigration through Express Entry?
Business people having a meeting in a tech company
I’m coming to Canada on a TRV. Can I bring my family with me?
A happy family of three relaxing in the lounge and being playful together
Top Stories
Canada releases 2022 Annual Report on Express Entry
Most popular options to come to Canada from the United Arab Emirates
Mortgage 101 for New Canadians: Financing Your First Home (Part 2)
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Sponsor Content
Mortgage 101 for New Canadians: Financing Your First Home (Part 2)
Saving for your down payment is a significant step towards homeownership.
How Canada’s international students can save $1,000* with Virgin Plus
Canada is one of the world’s most welcoming destinations for international students
Mortgage 101 for New Canadians: Understanding Mortgage Basics (Part 1)
Fixed rate mortgages offer a consistent interest rate throughout the term, while variable rate mortgages have rates that fluctuate based on the prime rate of your lender.
Discover Thriving Job Opportunities and Welcoming Communities in Chatham-Kent
Link copied to clipboard