Three ways to overcome a cannabis conviction before coming to Canada

Vimal Sivakumar
Published: December 20, 2023

Inadmissibility to Canada, for all crimes including cannabis-related convictions, depends on how a foreign conviction equates to the Canadian criminal code.

In other words, if a foreign national is deemed criminally inadmissible to Canada, it is because the crime they committed in another country equates to a crime under Canadian law that would render the individual unable to enter this country.

In the case of some foreign convictions for cannabis-related offences, foreign nationals may still be admissible to Canada because such crimes are no longer illegal in Canada. One example is the possession of cannabis (to an extent).

Schedule a Free Legal Consultation with the Cohen Immigration Law Firm

Despite some new Canadian laws that make foreign nationals with certain cannabis-related convictions admissible to Canada, a few common cannabis-related offences can still bar a non-Canadian from entering the country, including:

  • Possession (over 30 grams) of dried cannabis
  • Possession of cannabis (in non-dried forms) equal to more than 30 grams
  • Cannabis-related Driving Under the Influence (DUI) charges
  • Illegal sale or distribution of cannabis

Is there any way to enter Canada if I have committed an inadmissible offence related to cannabis?

Foreign nationals with cannabis-related (and other) convictions can still travel to Canada by overcoming their inadmissibility through a:

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

Foreign nationals may be granted temporary access to Canada with a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP), which can be used by individuals with a valid reason to come to this country. With a valid reason to travel to Canada – including for business or an emergency – foreign nationals can use a TRP to overcome a cannabis conviction if they prove that the benefits of their entry outweigh any potential risks to Canadians and the country.

Key information about TRPs

The following includes some key information foreign nationals would benefit from understanding about a TRP.

  • TRPs can be granted with a validity period of up to three years (depending on the reason for entry to Canada)
  • TRP applicants do not need to first complete a criminal sentence to be eligible for this permit
  • TRPs can either be single-entry or multi-entry permits
  • TRP applicants may apply to extend the validity of their permit once inside Canada

Legal Opinion Letter

Canadian immigration lawyers can help foreign nationals prepare a legal opinion letter. Outlining details related to the relevant convictions for which an individual would be barred from entering Canada, the lawyer would include their opinion on the matter and, while identifying risks and relevant Canadian laws, the lawyer would provide reasoning to justify why the subject of the letter should be deemed admissible to Canada.

Criminal Rehabilitation Application

Criminal rehabilitation applications are designed to allow successful applicants a way to enter Canada after permanently clearing their past criminal history. In other words, rehabilitation applicants who are approved by the Canadian government are no longer deemed inadmissible to Canada. These applications do not require renewal but do include a set of eligibility criteria, which are outlined as follows. Criminal rehabilitation applicants:

  • Must have committed an offence outside of Canada that would make them inadmissible to Canada under the Canadian Criminal Code
  • Must have either been convicted of the aforementioned offence or admitted to committing it
  • Must let five years pass since the completion of any consequences related to the commission of the offence (jail time, fines, community service or probation)

Schedule a Free Legal Consultation with the Cohen Immigration Law Firm

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
Donald Trump may now be inadmissible to enter Canada
A picture of a gavel and scales, in a court room.
IRCC’s tips on getting your police certificate
An officer looks over a document in a police precinct.
What is a Port of Entry letter?
Young smiling businesswoman holding digital tablet, check email, working online on the street
How does IRCC process Permanent Residence applications?
A stack of Canadian government documents waiting to be processed.
Top Stories
Report: Approval, processing rates drop after IRCC’s student cap
IRCC ends flagpoling services for PGWP applicants
British Columbia makes Entrepreneur Regional Pilot Program permanent
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Provinces
British Columbia makes Entrepreneur Regional Pilot Program permanent
A scenic view of a lake and boats parked in the foreground of a mountain.
Ontario, British Columbia and Saskatchewan invite candidates for nomination in latest draws
Aerial view of Toronto Financial District at sunset, Ontario, Canada.
Three provinces select candidates in latest provincial immigration results
B.C., Quebec and Manitoba have invited candidates in the latest provincial immigration draws.
British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec issue provincial immigration nominations in latest draws
Skytrain bridge in British Columbia connecting Surrey and New Westminster over the Fraser River.
Link copied to clipboard