Question & Answer

CIC News
Published: July 1, 2005

Question: I am in Canada visiting family. Now that I'm here, I would like to stay and work. My Aunt can get me a job at her office. Do I need a work visa first?

Answer: Before you can begin working at any job in Canada, you need to determine if you require a work permit. In general, only Canadians and Permanent Residents can work in Canada without a work permit. The Canadian government considers work to be an activity for which compensation, wages or another form, are paid. Also, if the activity is something for which a Canadian would normally be paid or from which they would gain job experience, then it is probably work.

Unfortunately, while you can continue to visit your family in Canada until the end of your allowed time, you will not be allowed to work without a work permit. Even if you are willing to take the position without pay, it is probably a job that Canadians consider work and would expect to be paid for. The Canadian Government expects that employment opportunities will be made available to Canadians and permanent residents first.

Now that you know you need to get a work permit, you will need to find out if you can qualify for one. To find out more about who can qualify for work permits, and how, visit

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
Study: Immigrants admitted to Canada as children have better education and work outcomes
How an ECA can help you immigrate to Canada
British Columbia and Prince Edward Island issue PNP nominations this week
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Provinces
British Columbia and Prince Edward Island issue PNP nominations this week
From Yellowhead highway, a view of the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies - Mount Robson Provincial Park in British Columbia, Canada.
Where in Canada can I settle: applicants selected by province or territory vs by the federal government
From front to back the flags represent British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brusnwick, Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario provinces.
British Columbia and Manitoba invite provincial nominees
A picture of a Canadian flatland with mountains in the back.
Ontario releases 2024 PNP allocation; Three provinces nominate candidates in latest draws
Ontario will invite 21,500 candidates to apply for provincial nomination in 2024
Link copied to clipboard