CIC News > Latest News > Canadian Immigration News Briefs for November 2011

Canadian Immigration News Briefs for November 2011

Font Style

Font Size

The following is a summary of developments concerning Canadian Citizenship and Immigration that took place or were announced over the last few weeks.

Canada to accept more foreign students as permanent residents

The Government of Canada will be accepting up to 1,000 international PhD students as permanent residents through the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program per year. Starting November 5, 2011, 1,000 international students who are studying at the doctoral level in Canada will be eligible to apply for permanent residency through the FSW program.  >> Read more…

New sponsorship applications for parents and grandparents on hold for two years

The Government of Canada has placed a two year moratorium on the Family Class program for parents and grandparents. As of November 5, 2011, no new sponsorship applications will be accepted for that specific category of the Family Class program. >>Read more…

Record proportion of immigrants spread through Canada via PNP

More immigrants are beginning their settlement in Canada spread throughout the country via the Provincial Nomination Program (PNP). There has been an almost seven-fold increase of admittance to Canada under this program since 2004, and in 2012 between 42,000 and 45,000 immigrants are projected to come into Canada this way. >> Read more…

Refugee immigration to Canada to be reduced

While there is humanitarian justification, as well as has been proven an economic benefit, the Canadian government plans to cap new refugee claims under the private sponsorship program, under the justification of reducing a growing backlog. >>Read more…