CIC News > Latest News > Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with David Cohen

Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with David Cohen

Font Style

Font Size

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers:

My partner and I have been together for ten years, but are not married because same sex marriage is illegal in our country. She is currently in Canada on a 5 year study visa. Are there any options for her sponsoring me to come to Canada?

Two individuals who have cohabitated in a conjugal relationship (same sex or not) for at least one year are considered to be common-law partners for Canadian immigration purposes. Common-law partners may accompany or join their common-law partner, who is on a valid Canadian study permit. However, this is not considered sponsorship.

Moreover, the common-law partner who does not hold the study permit must satisfy the Canadian immigration officer that the common-law relationship is genuine and that the individual will leave Canada at the end of the permitted entry. Also, note that entry to Canada can be denied, and a study permit revoked on the grounds of misrepresentation. Failure to disclose a common-law relationship, if asked, when applying for any type of entry to Canada may be construed as misrepresentation.

 I would like to sponsor my sibling, who is over 18 and has a junior high school education. What programs, if any, are available to me?

There are a number of programs that allow individuals to sponsor family members for Permanent Residency. Family Class sponsorship, in special circumstances, is available at the Federal level. At the Provincial level, family sponsorship programs are available in the following provinces: Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Newfoundland & Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick. Please note that requirements vary for each program.

I have been accepted to a Canadian PhD program. I would like my children to accompany me, but they will need to receive study permits. How should I go about this?

Minor children who are already in Canada with parents who can work or study in Canada and who want to attend pre-school, primary, or secondary school in Canada can do so without a study permit. When minor children studying in Canada without a permit reach the age of majority (turn 18 or 19 depending on the province or territory), they must apply for a permit if they want to continue studying.

I work from 9am to 3pm five days a week, and also take evening university classes. Can I gain points for both professional and educational experience under the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

Under the Federal Skilled Worker program, points can be gained for work experience and education if one works and studies at the same time. Keep in mind that full-time work in Canada is calculated at 37.5 hours per week full-time study is calculated at 15 hours of classroom study per week.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete Canadavisa’s free Canadian immigration assessment form.



4 thoughts on “Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with David Cohen

  1. Avatar
    Nusrat Ali Khan

    I submitted applications in the Skilled Worker Category in 2007, which were every time showing in WEB SITE “IN PROCESS” your file and last after April 2013 no sighn Seen, say their is some mistak or ay be in April application before 2008 received theirs cheque and applied under given form if your received your cheque other wise in Q . Can we also expect a return of our applications and refunds of application fees?
    All the very best,

  2. Avatar

    A temporary visitor can stay at a time for six month.If he has multiple entry visa,how much gap is required for the next trip if required.
    e.g if i travel to canada for six month and go to US for 15-30 days, will they allow me to enter Canada on several times. pl advice.

  3. Avatar
    Ahmed Hakeem

    Dear David , 09-04-2012

    While global warming may sound favourable when it’s -21 degrees celcius outside, for some it’s a daily threat. Each year the Maldives loses three of its inhabited islands to rising sea levels.
    With an average altitude of 1.5 metres above sea level, the Maldives compose the world’s lowest laying country. Located in the Indian Ocean, just off the southern tip of India, it spans 90,000 square kilometres, and it’s made up of some 200 inhabited islands. Other islands are used for tourism, agriculture, or other livelihood purposes. Fourteen of the inhabited islands have already disappeared under the ocean.
    is there any options for me to get the citizenship….?
    thank you!

    your sincerely
    Ahmed Hakeem
    NI NO: A117530

  4. Avatar
    Jacqueline Garrick

    I have been living in Canada for the past seventeen years with no family members here. My sister and her family had aplied in the skills program since 2008. I was looking forward in having a family member living here only to hear that they are not accepting any more and are returning the money. I am very disappointed since Canada is considered a family oriented place for anyone to live. I have had two surgeries and have to depend on other people to offer assistace wheras if my family was around I would have been more comfortable. I think they should review and at least process those who applied in 2008.

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.