Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

CIC News
Published: May 31, 2012

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. Here are this month’s questions and answers:

I want to apply to the Quebec Skilled Worker program. I went to high school in French and university in English, and as such I speak both languages fluently. Do I still have to take the language tests?

Yes, all applicants to the Quebec Skilled Worker program must submit the results of prescribed standardized French and Elnglish tests at the beginning of the application process if they wish to claim points for English/French.

My child has mild autism. I have heard that this means we will not be allowed into Canada. Is this true?

No, this is not necessarily true. It will depend on whether or not your child will be considered to be a strain on the health or social services in Canada. This will depend on many factors and each case must be decided on its own merits.

I submitted an application that was returned because my credit card was declined. However, it appears that my forms were being assessed as there are several markings on them and a stamp date of when it was received. Can I resubmit the same set of forms or do I have to fill out new ones? A letter came with the rejection stating that I should include the letter should I chose to resubmit my application.

It's probably a better idea to submit fresh forms. Visa offices stopped accepting the "old" forms on March 30, 2012.

I want to apply to the PNP program that will get me Permanent Residency the fastest. Which one should I apply to?

There are a wide variety of Provincial Nomination Programs. Most, but not all, require that you have a job offer of ramily member in the province. It's hard to imagine that you would have so many options so as to choose the fastest route. They are all relatively quick, so why not choose the place that you think you would like to live in?

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to QNA@CICNEWS.COM

If you would like to be assessed for Canadian immigration, please complete CanadaVisa’s free Canadian immigration assessment form.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
What are my chances of receiving a work permit through the IEC this year?
Ontario, British Columbia and Saskatchewan invite candidates for nomination in latest draws
Canadian Immigration Lawyers Association recommends IRPA legislation reform
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Canada
Canadian Immigration Lawyers Association recommends IRPA legislation reform
A young family at home having fun on sofa.
Canadian and United States border authorities crack down on flagpoling
A picture of the border crossing to Canada.
Donald Trump may now be inadmissible to enter Canada
A picture of a gavel and scales, in a court room.
Canada Dental Care Plan will soon open to more Canadian residents
Newcomer families with children may now qualify for free dental care.
Link copied to clipboard