CIC News > Latest News > Work and Travel in Canada with International Experience Canada

Work and Travel in Canada with International Experience Canada

Font Style

Font Size

The hazards that accompany long-term visits to other countries are many. Chief among these are the familiar insecurities surrounding depleting bank accounts. If only it were possible to counter this problem with the simplest solution to financial hardship—a job. Thanks to International Experience Canada (IEC), such a possibility now exists for those seeking to live temporarily in Canada.

An initiative of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, IEC negotiates reciprocal agreements with countries around the world to offer travel authorisation and work permits for up to 18 months. Through these work permits, Canadian citizens wishing to work overseas and foreign nationals wishing to work in Canada can undertake working holidays or obtain placement under international work experience programmes and internship programmes.

IEC participants can undertake one of three programs. These are:

Working Holiday: Participants in this program can receive a temporary work permit, valid for, on average, one year. Nationals of some countries may be allowed to stay in Canada for more or less than one year.

Young Professionals: Under this program, foreign nationals from participating countries can gain valuable international experience by working for a Canadian company.

International Co-op: This program allows foreign nationals from participating countries to spend their co-op term as interns for Canadian companies.

Participants in IEC programs need to be 18-35 years of age. However, in some cases, the maximum age is lower than this.

IEC also recognises work-travel programmes to Canada organised through Association Internationale des Étudiants en Sciences Économiques et Commerciales (AIESEC), Chantiers Jeunesse, the Canadian Host Family Association (CHFA), the International Rural Exchange (IRE), and the International Volunteer Exchange Programme of the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC-IVEP). These permits are employer-specific and indicate the name and location of the employer and duration of employment. IEC also recognises open permits organised through Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP) working holidays and Go International.

“International Experience Canada has long been an opportunity for young people around the world to experience a taste of Canada,” says Attorney David Cohen. “More and more, the program is also being recognized as a stepping stone for some hard workers to find a permanent job and pursue Canadian Permanent Residency. As word spreads of this great opportunity, my law firm has received an increased interest in the IEC program.”

To see if your country is eligible to participate in IEC programs, refer to the accompanying table.

*Open to ages 18-30, ** Open to ages 18-29, §Citizens can participate in special IEC student summer job initiatives exclusive to their country

Fore more information on the IEC, please contact Campbell Cohen today.



5 thoughts on “Work and Travel in Canada with International Experience Canada

  1. Avatar

    I am very interested in IEC – Young professionals program for foreign youth, and I have a few questions.
    Whats the main difference between Working Holidays and Young professional stream in terms of
    employment conditions? if my intention is to work full-time (not travel) for a period of 12 month and gain relative to my education working experience in Canada can I still use the Working holidays stream?
    If i’m a foreign worker who’s currently in Canada and I would like to apply for Work Permit and visa through this program, is it possible to do so without leaving the country?
    Thanks you,

  2. Avatar


    It’s not ironic. These programs are BI-LATERAL agreements. They are RECIPROCAL arrangements between TWO countries allowing their young adults (on BOTH sides) to have international experiences. It is not Canada choosing which countries’ youths it will allow to visit for a while. It means that the 2 countries have agreed to do an “exchange” or sorts, or at least agree to send and receive visitors bi-laterally. If a US citizen wanted a visa for Canada, I am sure this wouldn’t be an issue, but this wouldn’t be the program to apply for. There are other visas available. And personally, I feel that if the US wanted a bilateral as such above agreement, Canada wouldn’t disagree.

  3. Avatar

    Love the irony of it doesn’t apply to the United States which shares so many resources plus tourists back and forth.

  4. Avatar

    india is not elgible for the above programme.

  5. Avatar

    Whether our country Tajikistan hello has the right to participate in it program of thanks for answer

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.