CIC News > Latest News > Bridging Open Work Permit Helps Workers Stay in Canada

Bridging Open Work Permit Helps Workers Stay in Canada

Font Style

Font Size

Canada is committed to retaining the talented temporary foreign workers it needs to ensure continued economic growth. This includes making sure that temporary foreign workers are able to make a smooth transition to Canadian Permanent Residency if they so choose.

Beginning on December 15th, 2012, the Government of Canada introduced the Bridging Open Work Permit. This permit helps temporary foreign workers remain in Canada during their permanent residency application process. This takes pressure off of both workers and their Canadian employers, and allows them to continue working in Canada while waiting to hear word on the immigration application.

What is the Bridging Open Work Permit (BWP)?

It is not unusual for a foreign worker to realize that their temporary work permit is set to expire during the course of their permanent residency application process. Before the BWP, they were required to undergo the lengthy process of applying for work permit renewal if they wished to continue working in Canada. If a work permit could not be obtained, the individual (and their family) had the choice to either stay in Canada as a visitor, thus foregoing an income from work, or to leave the country until a permanent resident visa was issued.

Now, existing temporary foreign workers can apply for an Open BWP as long as they:

  • are currently in Canada;
  • have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within 4 months;
  • have received confirmation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that their permanent resident application under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Trades Program, or a Provincial Nominee Program is eligible for processing

Do you have Confirmation of Eligibility for your PR Application?

The confirmation of eligibility is usually issued for applications under the Federal Skilled Worker Program when a positive Final Determination of Eligibility letter has been sent or emailed by the Central Intake Office (CIO). For the Canadian Experience Class , the Federal Skilled Trades Program , and the Provincial Nominee Programs, confirmation of eligibility is usually communicated when an Acknowledgement of Receipt has been sent by letter or email.

If you do not have either of these documents, you will need to contact CIC or request a copy of the notes relating to your Immigration application to determine whether your PR application has been found eligible for processing.

Receiving a Bridging Open Work Permit

A BWP is valid for 1 year after its issuance. During this time, it should be possible for an individual to receive a decision on their permanent residency application. If no decision is received, a request for extension of a BWP will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

If an applicant is applying for permanent residency through a Provincial Nominee Program, the open work permit will be restricted to the specific province the applicant has applied to.

“This work permit offers some long-awaited help to both foreign workers and employers alike,” said Attorney David Cohen. “By allowing foreign workers to easily stay and work while their permanent residency application is being processed, the Canadian government is underscoring just how highly they value these individuals.”

To find out if you are eligible for a Briding Open Work Permit, please contact Campbell Cohen today.



13 thoughts on “Bridging Open Work Permit Helps Workers Stay in Canada

  1. Sulthan

    I’m Sulthan Iam work electrical forman but I apply for Canada one of the person speak have work permit can come to work Canada he ask 465 fees so l know the conform the Canada have work permit visa so I can apply are no please send me reply I want more information

  2. teresa

    Hey there!
    Do you know what happens with the BOWP once you get the PR? I have to leave the country and I am worried my PR will arrive during the time I am away. Will I be able to come in with the BOWP? Thanks!

  3. Salesh kishor vijay

    Hi Iam a journeyman welder and had my 2 years open work permit as a welder… But my work permit is expiring next year 2016. I wanted to put application for pr under ANIP but at the moment immigration has stop taking new application until next year January 2016.. My question is that while my application will be in process will I get extension for work visa without doing LMIA from my employer…cos my employer is not willing to do LMIA… I am willing to apply under skilled migration category. Please suggest..

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.