Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

CIC News
Published: October 5, 2016

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more. Here are this month's questions and answers.

1. Dear David,
My parents have been approved for Super Visa to Canada and coming next month. They have bought one way ticket to Canada. I would like to ask if it’s a requirement to buy return ticket for this kind of visa. Because return date for them is not decided yet as they are allowed to stay up to two years. Thank you

Individuals who have been approved to come to Canada with a Super Visa are not required to have booked return travel before landing in Canada. However, the government of Canada states that ‘You must be a real visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of your visit.’

An officer will look at these things when assessing a Super Visa application:

  • The applicant’s ties to his or her home country;
  • the purpose of the visit;
  • the applicant’s family and finances;
  • the overall economic and political stability of the home country; and
  • an invitation from a Canadian host.

Individuals who have obtained a Super Visa have satisfied the officer that they will leave Canada by choice at the end of their visit.

2. I was rejected Canadian permanent residence visa on health issues. There was a problem in both of my kidneys. Now I have been in good health as I have undergone a kidney transplant. Can I apply again?

Individuals who are eligible for a Canadian immigration program and who are in a position to submit an application for permanent residence may do so, even if they have previously been rejected on medical grounds. Applicants may be denied a Canada permanent resident solely on medical grounds, if:

  • Their condition would endanger the health or safety of the Canadian population at large; or
  • Their admission might cause excessive demand on existing social or health services provided by the government.

Therefore, individuals who have previously had an application rejected on medical grounds may have a later application approved, as long as they can satisfy the visa officer assessing the application that they do not pose a health and safety threat and that they would not cause excessive demand on existing social or health services provided by the government, which can include cost of medications required to keep them healthy. In general, the past 10 years of an applicant’s medical history is reviewed. A letter from the applicant’s physician attesting to the health of the applicant may be submitted along with the application.

3. Is the open work permit pilot program for Inland spousal/common-law sponsorship still in effect?

Yes, this pilot program, which was first introduced in December, 2014, is still running. This pilot program allows spouses and common-law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to be granted an open work permit while their inland sponsorship application for permanent residence is being processed.

Inland sponsorship is a type of spousal sponsorship available to couples who are already living together in Canada where the spouse/common-law partner has temporary status in Canada, either as a worker, student, or visitor.

Learn more about the Inland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship: Open Work Permit Pilot Program.

If you would like your general immigration question to be featured in our newsletter, please email your question to

© 2016 CICnews All Rights Reserved

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
When to inform IRCC about changes to your family after submitting a family class application
Happy family takes a selfie
Quebec imposes cap on family sponsorship applications
A family waving the Quebec provincial flag while standing in a field
Is the Super Visa a good alternative to the PGP?
A man, son and grandfather lying down together.
IRCC to introduce advanced analytics and automation to speed up processing for spousal and partner sponsorship
A couple outside in the snow on a winter day.
Top Stories
Ontario and British Columbia invite candidates to apply for provincial nomination
7 apps to prepare for your move to Canada
Helpful advice for newcomers landing in Canada: A post-arrival checklist for newcomers to Canada
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Sponsor Content
Helpful advice for newcomers landing in Canada: A post-arrival checklist for newcomers to Canada
When you arrive, you will have to go through a process to confirm your identity.
Studying in Canada? Get Support with Increased Awards from the CAEL Scholarships!
As a test explicitly designed to measure students' English language proficiency in an academic context, CAEL is one of the most effective assessments for identifying individuals with the skills needed for success at Canadian universities and colleges.
How Pre-Arrival Services Help Immigrants to Canada Even Before They Arrive
Planning for Canada Team
TD Bank Group and Cricket Canada announce new sponsorship
TD will be the official bank of Cricket Canada’s national teams and help support Cricket Canada as it works to build Canada's vibrant cricket-loving community.
Link copied to clipboard