Ontario Launches New Express Entry Stream for Tradespersons
The government of Ontario, Canada’s most populated province and a magnet for immigrants the world over, has announced a new stream of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) known as the Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream. Successful applicants to this stream will benefit from 600 additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points and an Invitation to Apply (ITA) at a subsequent draw from the federal Express Entry pool.
The OINP Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream came into being on May 31, 2017.
Only candidates in the pool who are eligible under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) will be considered for nomination under this stream. Candidates must have indicated a desire to reside in Ontario or “all provinces and territories” in their Express Entry profile, and they must recieve a Notification of Interest (NOI) from Ontario through the IRCC Express Entry online account before submitting an application.
Candidates must also meet the following provincial criteria:
- Work Experience: At least 12 months of full-time (or the equivalent in part-time) work experience in Ontario within two years from the date of issuance of the NOI from Ontario. Work experience must be in a skilled trade occupation listed in Minor Group 633 or Major Group 72, 73, or 82 of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system.
- Trade Certification (if required): A trade license or certification from the Ontario College of Trades, if the candidate is working, or has worked, in an occupation in Ontario that requires a license or certification.
- Current Residence in Ontario: Currently residing in Ontario on a valid work permit.
- Language: A minimum of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 in English or in French. This must be proved by taking a standardized language test recognized by the governments of Ontario and Canada.
- Settlement Funds: A minimum level of settlement funds.
- Intent: An intention to reside in Ontario.
The OINP will issue NOIs only to those candidates who fulfil the above criteria and who are eligible under one of the following National Occupational Classification (NOC) groups:
- Major group 72: Industrial, electrical and construction trades
- Major group 73: Maintenance and equipment operation trades
- Major group 82: Supervisors and technical occupations in natural resources, agriculture and related production
- Minor group 633: Butchers and bakers
To find out if you are eligible to enter the Express Entry pool, the first step towards provincial nomination under the OINP Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream, please fill out a free online assessment form.
© 2017 CICNews All Rights Reserved