Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

David Cohen
Published: January 26, 2018

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more. 

1. I have a bachelor’s degree in chemistry that I obtained in 2008 but I only started working in chemistry two years ago. My previous work was as a head secretary at a high school for six years. Can I gain Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points for both sets of work experience, or just for my work in chemistry?

Your work experience does not have to be related to your field of studies to be awarded CRS points. However, there are a number of conditions regarding your work experience that do have to be met. For example, as a candidate in the Federal Skilled Worker Class, your work experience must be rated as skilled under the National Occupation Classification (NOC).

You can find more details on this subject at this page on

2. If my application for permanent residence was submitted before Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada announced the revised settlement funds requirements, could my application be refused because it reflects the old requirement, but not the new?

When an applicant submits their electronic application for permanent residence (e-APR) to Canada’s immigration authorities, the application is assessed according to the regulations in effect at the time of their e-APR submission. New requirements if introduced after a file is submitted, should not affect your application. However, if your family circumstances change after you submit your application — you have a baby, for example — this change has to be declared and you will have to prove that you have the required amount of settlement funds for your family’s size.

3. I’m an independent professional from an European Union member state and when I wanted to apply for a work permit last year, I was told I needed a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) in order to have the work permit approved. My employer was unwilling to do this at the time so I was wondering if there was any way to get around this requirement.

Yes, through the Canada – European Union (EU) Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement, or CETA, which took effect on September 21, 2017. According to this international agreement, citizens of EU member states who are independent professionals and have a Canadian job offer in an occupation covered under the CETA can apply for the work permit without going through the LMIA process. However, this exemption is only possible for the first 12 months of any given employment contract. If you would like to work beyond this, then the employer would have to go through the LMIA process.

To find out if you are eligible for Canadian immigration, fill out a FREE assessment form today.

© 2018 CICNews All Rights Reserved

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
Changes to Canada’s inadmissibility fees starting December 1st, 2023
Canadian flag over Quebec city
How does IRCC decide when to hold Express Entry draws?
There are many possible reasons IRCC has not been holding Express Entry draws.
Travelling to Canada for the first time as a newcomer? Here is how you can arrive prepared
Plane landing
How you can immigrate to Canada from Nigeria
Nigerian flag
Top Stories
Can I extend or renew my Post-Graduation Work Permit? 
What are my options if I need to defer my enrollment after obtaining my Canadian study permit?
Changes to Canada’s inadmissibility fees starting December 1st, 2023
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Visit
Changes to Canada’s inadmissibility fees starting December 1st, 2023
Canadian flag over Quebec city
Canada to expedite some visitor visas going forward
A mountain stream in Yoho National Park Canada
Celebrities like the Fugees denied entry to Canada: The importance of applying to overcome inadmissibility
The Fugees
Common offenses that can make you inadmissible to Canada
Edmonton skyline
Link copied to clipboard