Quebec invites 444 foreign workers to apply for permanent selection certificate
Pour lire cet article en français, cliquez ici.
The draw targeted Quebec Skilled Worker Program candidates with an Expression of Interest (EOI) in the province’s Arrima system who had their previous applications cancelled under immigration reforms passed on June 16, 2019.
Candidates had to meet the following criteria in order to receive an invitation in the August 19 draw:
- their application for selection submitted under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program was terminated, pursuant to Section 28 of Quebec’s Act to increase Québec’s socio-economic prosperity and adequately meet labour market needs through successful immigrant integration (the Act); and
- they filed an EOI with the Minister before December 17, 2019; and
- they were in one of the following situations:
- their application, which was terminated under the Act, was submitted to the Minister under Section 5.01 of the Regulation respecting the selection of foreign nationals; or
- they were staying in Québec on June 16, 2019, while they held a study or work permit issued pursuant to Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
Arrima was introduced last year to receive EOIs for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program and manage its bank of candidates.
An EOI is not an application but is instead a way for candidates to notify Quebec’s Immigration Ministry that they would like to be considered for a Quebec Selection Certificate (Certificat de sélection du Québec, or CSQ).
A CSQ allows a candidate to apply for permanent residence in Quebec.
The EOI-based online system replaced the previous, first-come-first-served approach to accepting applications to the Quebec Skilled Worker Program.
Under the EOI system, candidates create a profile in Arrima and are awarded a score based on factors including their age, education, area of training, work experience and proficiency in French.
Candidates are invited to apply for a CSQ based on either their scores or other factors such as labour shortages in the province’s outlying regions.
Those who apply for and receive a CSQ then apply for permanent residence through Canada’s federal immigration ministry, which verifies medical and criminal admissibility.
If you receive an invitation to apply for a Quebec Selection Certificate, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about the next steps regarding your application.
© 2019 CIC News All Rights Reserved