Canadian work permit alternatives to Owner/Operator for immigrant entrepreneurs

Shelby Thevenot
Published: April 1, 2021

The expedited work permit for immigrant entrepreneurs is no more, here are some other options.

The Owner/Operator category has been removed from the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) as of April 1, 2021. This category allowed applicants to apply for a work permit without having to do the advertising requirement of the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

There have been more changes affecting immigrant entrepreneurs this year. As of January 1, Canada is not processing U.K. applicants under the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) Investors. Instead, they are being processed under the new Canada-UK Trade Continuity Agreement.

In order to start a business in Canada, foreign nationals need to get a work permit. The right work permit for you may depend on where you're from, your role in the company, or what kind of impact your business will have on the Canadian labour market.

Get help with Canadian work permits

Intra-Company Transfer

The Intra-Company Transfer work permit is for entrepreneurs who want to expand an existing foreign business into Canada. This program is usually used by multinational corporations to move management and key staff between international branches, but it can also be an option for entrepreneurs who want to move to Canada.

Through this work permit, business owners can divide their time between managing their current overseas business and opening their Canadian branch, subsidiary, or affiliate.

Some of the basic eligibility criteria are as follows:

  • The new Canadian business must pass a viability test by providing their financial information, evidence that physical premises have been secured, and a business plan that creates at least one Canadian job opportunity in the first year.
  • The foreign company and the Canadian businesses must be related in terms of their ownership structure, which means they must have either a parent-branch, parent-subsidiary, or affiliate relationship.
  • The person being transferred to manage the new Canadian business must have been employed by the foreign business looking to transfer them for at least one year in a similar full-time senior, managerial, or executive position.

CUSMA Investor

Citizens of the U.S. or Mexico who invest in new or existing businesses in Canada may be eligible to apply for a work permit under the Canada-United-States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) Investor program. Eligible investors, majority shareholders, or sole owners can use this program to develop and direct their business from inside Canada.

To apply, the investor must prepare a business plan with details of the total capital required to establish or purchase the business. They also need to show that a significant portion of these funds has already been committed to the project. The business is also expected to generate jobs or other benefits to the local economy.

CETA Investor

European investors who are eligible for the CETA Investor program can stay in Canada for one year without needing an LMIA.

Investors may be eligible if they are employed, in a supervisory or executive position, by an enterprise that will commit a substantial amount of capital to a Canadian business.

Investors need a business plan as well as significant funds already committed to the project.


The Entrepreneurs/self-employed work permit is intended for entrepreneurs who own at least 50 per cent of a Canadian business. It can also apply in cases where the owner of the Canadian business intends to live outside Canada. In such cases, the work permit could be exempt from the need for an LMIA.

These individuals may seek temporary residence or eventual permanent residence. Applicants must demonstrate that their business will be a significant economic, social, or cultural benefit to Canadians.

Get help with Canadian work permits

© CIC News All Rights Reserved. Visit to discover your Canadian immigration options.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
Canada’s non-permanent resident population is 2.2 million people
Statistics Canada has released new data on the number of NPRs.
What counts as eligible work experience for immigration through Express Entry?
Business people having a meeting in a tech company
Getting your prescription medication as a newcomer to Canada
pharmacist and client
I’m coming to Canada on a TRV. Can I bring my family with me?
A happy family of three relaxing in the lounge and being playful together
Top Stories
Canada’s non-permanent resident population is 2.2 million people
How long does it take for Canada to process visa applications from India?
Canada invites 500 French-speaking candidates in category-based Express Entry draw
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Express Entry
Canada invites 500 French-speaking candidates in category-based Express Entry draw
Waterfall near Victoria on Vancouver Island.
Canada releases 2022 Annual Report on Express Entry
Children playing together in colourful natural park on autumn day
What counts as eligible work experience for immigration through Express Entry?
Business people having a meeting in a tech company
Express Entry: Canada has first ever draw for transport occupations
IRCC has held its first ever Express Entry draw for transport occupations.
Link copied to clipboard