How to become a Canadian citizen if you are an American

Daniel Levy
Published: June 28, 2022

Canada allows citizenship by descent for Americans born to first generation Canadian citizens.

Given the strong ties between the United States and Canada, it is quite common for Americans with at least one Canadian parent to go ahead and apply for Canadian citizenship. Americans can apply for Canadian citizenship even if their Canadian parent is deceased.

Get a Free Legal Consultation on Applying for Proof of Canadian Citizenship

The Canadian government fee is only $75 to submit what is called a "Proof of Citizenship" application. An experienced Canadian immigration lawyer can help you submit the application to ensure you meet all application requirements and obtain Canadian citizenship as quickly as possible.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires that Americans demonstrate their biological or legal parent was in fact a Canadian citizen when the Proof of Citizenship applicant was born. Applicants can provide evidence such as their parent's birth certificate, Canadian citizenship card, or citizenship certificate.

Once you submit the Proof of Citizenship application and government fee, you will receive what is called an "acknowledgment of receipt" from IRCC. IRCC will send you a Canadian citizenship certificate after it approves your application.

IRCC may contact you if your application has complexities or if there is additional clarity required. Overall, the Proof of Citizenship process is fairly straightforward, but given the potential for complications and the strong demand to become a Canadian citizen, you may find it worthwhile having a trusted Canadian immigration lawyer by your side so that you can get peace of mind.

Get a Free Legal Consultation on Applying for Proof of Canadian Citizenship

© CIC News All Rights Reserved. Visit to discover your Canadian immigration options.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
Changes to Canada’s citizenship laws have been delayed
A closeup of an application for Canadian citizenship
IRCC introduces interim measure allowing some foreign nationals to gain Canadian citizenship faster
Two young adults, male and female, with backpacks, enjoying time together during a hike on a beautiful sunny spring day.
Canada’s immigration minister proposes new legislation for Canadian citizenship by descent
Immigration Minister Marc Miller has introduced legislation to update Canada's citizenship laws.
Canada celebrates Citizenship Week 2024
Canada is marking its annual citizenship week.
Top Stories
Frequently asked questions about visas for students, workers and tourists coming to Canada
Ontario and British Columbia invite candidates to apply for provincial nomination
7 apps to prepare for your move to Canada
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Life in Canada
7 apps to prepare for your move to Canada
Image of users holding mobile phones in both hands
Debunking four myths about life in Canada 
Mother using smart phone while taking selfie with her children at home.
Am I eligible for IRCC settlement services as a temporary resident?
Group of young people sitting at table reading books.
Recent policies that may make home ownership more affordable for eligible newcomers to Canada
Houses in construction in a housing development on a clear autumn day
Link copied to clipboard