Getting married this summer? How to sponsor your spouse for Canadian immigration

Julia Hornstein
Published: July 5, 2022

If you are planning on getting married this summer, you can start your application to sponsor your spouse now.

How to sponsor your spouse or partner

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their foreign national spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner to live with them in Canada and become a Canadian permanent resident.

Sponsor your family for Canadian immigration

In order to be eligible to sponsor your spouse or partner, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You are 18 years or older,
  • You are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident living in Canada, or person registered under the Canadian Indian Act,
  • You are living in Canada or are a Canadian citizen planning on returning to Canada,
  • You are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than disability, and
  • You can provide for the basic needs of yourself and those of your spouse or partner (and if applicable, those of dependent children).

The sponsored person must be at least 18 years old and pass all background, security and medical checks.

In addition, you and your foreign spouse or partner must prove that you are in an authentic relationship. In the case of sponsoring a spouse, you must prove you are legally married. Alternatively, for common-law partners, you must prove you live or have lived with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship. Similarly, if you are conjugal partners, you must prove you have been in a committed relationship for at least 12 months but have had significant barriers that have prevented you from living with one another (such as cultural, religious or immigration obstacles).

There are two options to choose from when sponsoring a spouse or partner: outland or inland sponsorship. The outland sponsorship option is for couples who are not currently living in Canada together, but rather the sponsored person lives abroad while the Canadian sponsor resides in Canada. The inland sponsorship option is for couples who are living together in Canada and the foreign spouse or partner has temporary status in Canada as a worker, student or visitor.

Can you go ahead with the application process before getting married?

If you are in a common-law or conjugal relationship, there is no need to be married to begin the application process, as illustrated by the 12-month living or relationship requirements. If you are not in a common-law or conjugal partnership and instead have a plan to get married soon, you can begin the spousal application process before your marriage. This speeds up the process so that once you are married, the application can be submitted to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) right away.

If you are planning on getting married this summer and would like to start your application now, it is best to speak with an experienced Canadian immigration lawyer who can help guide you through the process. A lawyer will be able to help you prove your relationship is genuine and avoid mistakes that could result in unnecessary application processing delays.

In addition, IRCC has announced that the average processing times for new spousal applications are back to its service standard of 12 months. IRCC has also introduced an online case tracker that allows sponsors to monitor the progress of the status of their applications.

Sponsor your family for Canadian immigration

© CIC News All Rights Reserved. Visit to discover your Canadian immigration options.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
When to inform IRCC about changes to your family after submitting a family class application
Happy family takes a selfie
Quebec imposes cap on family sponsorship applications
A family waving the Quebec provincial flag while standing in a field
Am I eligible for a Bridging Open Work Permit?
A Family of four enjoying golden leaves in autumn park
Canadian Immigration Lawyers Association recommends IRPA legislation reform
A young family at home having fun on sofa.
Top Stories
Frequently asked questions about visas for students, workers and tourists coming to Canada
Ontario and British Columbia invite candidates to apply for provincial nomination
7 apps to prepare for your move to Canada
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Life in Canada
7 apps to prepare for your move to Canada
Image of users holding mobile phones in both hands
Debunking four myths about life in Canada 
Mother using smart phone while taking selfie with her children at home.
Am I eligible for IRCC settlement services as a temporary resident?
Group of young people sitting at table reading books.
Recent policies that may make home ownership more affordable for eligible newcomers to Canada
Houses in construction in a housing development on a clear autumn day
Link copied to clipboard