Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

CIC News
Published: May 7, 2015

Every month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more.

Here are this month’s questions and answers.

1. Hello,

I applied under the FSW program under NOC 2132 (Mechanical Engineers) in December, 2014. I haven’t heard anything so far regarding my application. Can I apply under the Express Entry system without knowing the status of my previous application?
Kindly suggest.

Regardless of what the status of your existing application is, you may enter the Express Entry pool as long as you remain eligible for at least one of the three federal economic immigration programs processed through the Express Entry system. If you receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence in Canada through Express Entry and choose to make an e-application thereafter, you will first have to withdraw any previous economic immigration application you made previously.

2. Good Day,

 Can I re-apply for spousal sponsorship (husband) once the previous application was withdrawn ? We are still married. We separated for a few months and now we are back together. If I could apply again, would I have to start the whole process again or we could re open the last application?

 Really appreciate your feedback. Thank you and have a nice day.

In almost all cases, once an application is withdrawn it is withdrawn permanently. If you remained married to your spouse throughout the period of separation and satisfy all other spousal sponsorship requirements, however, you may be in a position to begin a new immigration application.

You may fill out a free assessment of your eligibility for spousal sponsorship, and I will get back to you regarding your options shortly afterward.

3. I have been picked from the Express Entry pool and invited to apply, but I’m unsure if I will get the FBI clearance back prior to the 60 day deadline under Express Entry. I used to live in the United States. Can I apply without it, but show that I have applied and should get the clearance in the near future?

In exceptional circumstances, some applicants may experience delays in obtaining police certificate within the 60-day timeframe allocated to submit a complete an application under Express Entry. In such situations, applicants should submit a letter of explanation as part of their application and include proof of having requested a police certificate (for example, a copy of the receipt obtained when they requested the police certificate from the prescribed authority). Efforts should be made as early as possible to obtain the relevant police certificate, and any receipt(s) should be forwarded with the letter of explanation when the application is made. Once the hard copy of the police certificate is obtained, it may be sent to the following courier address:


Centralized Intake Office

49 Dorchester Street

Sydney, NS  B1P 5Z2

The officer’s discretion may be required in assessing whether police clearances that do not fall within these time limits are valid and reliable for the purpose of evaluating admissibility.

© 2015 CICnews All Rights Reserved

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Top Stories
New data suggests growing demand for temporary foreign workers in several Canadian industries
Ontario, British Columbia, Manitoba, and PEI nominate newcomers for provincial immigration
IRCC’s update on its plan to attract global talent
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Canada
IRCC’s update on its plan to attract global talent
Sunlight on an airplane wing
Study finds more newcomers are considering moving to escape housing costs
Typical homes in Canada
How to take a break from your studies and maintain eligibility for a work permit
A student at the airport looking at flight times.
Two Canadian cities among the most livable in the world, as Toronto drops out of the top 10
A view of the sunset in Calgary at a lake.
Link copied to clipboard