IRCC Confirms Extension of Open Work Permit Pilot Program for Sponsored Spouses and Partners in Canada

CIC News
Published: December 14, 2016

A happy couple walk together in the countryside on a sunny dayThe government of Canada has extended its Open Work Permit Pilot Program for spouses and common-law partners applying for Canadian immigration. The pilot program, first launched in December 2014, allows spouses and common-law partners of Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are currently being sponsored on an application for permanent residence through the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada (SCLPC) Class to work in Canada during the processing of the application.

On December 7, 2016, the government announced that the pilot program would be extended until December 21, 2017. It was previously set to end on December 22, 2016. This is the second time the popular pilot program, which has assisted many couples and families in Canada, has been extended.

The extension of the pilot program is intended to ensure that spouses and partners who are currently being sponsored from inside Canada may continue to work until a decision is made on their application.

Applications for spousal sponsorship may be made either from outside Canada (Outland Sponsorship) or from inside Canada (Inland Sponsorship). Through the Inland Sponsorship route, sponsored spouses or partners may be able to obtain an Open Work Permit and work anywhere in Canada, for any employer. Individuals who wish to be sponsored through Inland Sponsorship must have valid status in Canada, as either a visitor, temporary worker, or student, when the application for permanent residence is submitted.

Improving Family Reunification Process

In its announcement, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) stated that ‘Family reunification is a core immigration priority for the Government of Canada.’ The news of the extension to the program came on the same day that Immigration Minister John McCallum presented a new plan to halve processing times for Family Class applications — including applications through the SCLPC Class. McCallum projected processing times of 12 months for applications submitted to Family Class immigration programs.

Speaking in Brampton, Ontario, McCallum said, “This will be of benefit to the 64,000 spouses we plan to admit to Canada in the coming year, but it will be of benefit to all Canadians because I think that people are more productive citizens, they do better overall when they are with their families than when they are isolated from their families.”

McCallum also outlined new measures put in place by IRCC to ensure the target processing time of 12 months may be met. These include simplified documentation, and moving applications online. The new online system is expected to be available as of December 15, 2016.

How to Obtain the Open Work Permit

In order to be eligible to obtain an Open Work Permit through this pilot program, the sponsored spouse/common-law partner living in Canada is required to:

  • Have valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker); and,
  • Live at the same Canadian address as the sponsor.

Applicants are advised to submit a work permit application at the same time as the application for permanent residence. Applicants who have already submitted an application for permanent residence but have not yet obtained a work permit, may submit a work permit application separately.

IRCC also states that individuals who have a work permit obtained through the pilot program may apply for work permit extension before their current permit expires.

To find out if you are eligible to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner, or other family member, please complete our free online assessment today.
To find out more or to make an enquiry about this pilot program, please contact the CanadaVisa work permit team at

© 2016 CICnews All Rights Reserved

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
10 frequently asked questions by visitors to Canada
View of Skylon Tower and abandond Ontario Power Comany Generating Station at river level seeing from a boat tour
Comparing rental costs across Canada
A for rent sign infront of a small house
What can newcomers expect from Budget 2024?
Budget 2024 will contain several new initiatives to help with housing affordability in Canada.
Who can work in Canada without a work permit?
A bearded man in a plaid shirt and dark trousers works in a bright office
Top Stories
British Columbia and Prince Edward Island issue PNP nominations this week
Budget 2024: How Canada is continuing its commitment to safe and inclusive communities
Recent policies that may make home ownership more affordable for eligible newcomers to Canada
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Life in Canada
Recent policies that may make home ownership more affordable for eligible newcomers to Canada
Houses in construction in a housing development on a clear autumn day
As a foreign national, am I eligible for a health card in Canada?
Group of millennial people hold in arms financial papers solve and discuss problem.
Report: Canada is the 2nd happiest country among the G7
Happy multigenerational people having fun sitting on grass in a public park
10 mistakes to avoid as a newcomer to Canada
Man and woman walking and laughing, enjoying a day out in the city on a sunny autumn day
Link copied to clipboard