CIC News > Latest News > Analysis > Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

Font Style

Font Size

David Cohen answers a range of Canadian immigration questionsEvery month, Attorney David Cohen will answer a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more. Here are this month’s questions and answers.

  1. Can IELTS be waived for economic applicants from native English-speaking countries and countries whose second language or medium of communication in their institutions is English?

Applicants for immigration to Canada applying through an economic immigration program must prove language ability in English or French. For Express Entry candidates, this must be done by taking a standardized language test recognized by the government of Canada. There are three tests recognized by the government of for the purpose of assessing language ability for immigration:

  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) – General edition

This test is available at test centres internationally.

  • CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program)

This test is available within Canada and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) only.

  • TEF (Test d’Évaluation de Français)

This test is for French only.

For English-speaking candidates outside Canada and the UAE, IELTS is effectively a mandatory step on the road to immigration to Canada through Express Entry. Skilled worker and graduate streams of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) also require applicants to submit language test results. Under the Quebec Experience Class (PEQ, a program for workers, students, and graduates in the province of Quebec) applicants may sit a French course or submit education documents in lieu of a test, but this is an exception and does not apply to applicants without French ability.

In short, an individual’s nationality does not excuse them from proving language ability for the purposes of economic immigration to Canada.

  1. Do I need to get my wife’s educational credentials assessed as well if I’m claiming her points in CRS for Express Entry?

Candidates in the Express Entry pool with a spouse or common-law partner may be awarded points for both partners’ levels of education. Up to 140 Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points are available for the principal applicant’s level of education, and up to 10 CRS points are available for the spouse or common-law partner’s level of education (single candidates may be awarded up to 150 points for their level of education alone).

In order to obtain these points, the candidate must have either completed a study program in Canada OR obtained an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from a designated organization, attesting that the level of education is equivalent to Canadian standards. The same principle applies to the spouse or common-law partner, who also must either have studied in Canada or obtain an ECA in order for points to be awarded.

  1. My wife and I are PR holders and living in Ontario, Canada, for more than a year. We have a newborn boy who was born in Ontario very recently. Since we are not Canadian citizens yet, we wonder whether our child has a PR status or he is deemed a Canadian. If he is not a Canadian, do we need to apply to IRCC for his PR card? Thank you.

Canadian citizenship is typically obtained by birth in Canada on the principle of jus soli (“right of the soil”). Canada is one of a few countries that upholds this principle. Therefore, if your son was born in the province of Ontario, Canada, he is a Canadian citizen by virtue of his place of birth. There is no need for you to apply for any status in Canada on his behalf.

You also mention that you and your wife are not Canadian citizens yet. It might be of interest for you to know that Canada recently passed a law that will allow individuals and families who hold permanent resident status, such as you, to apply for citizenship sooner and more easily than was previously the case. To learn more, please see this article.

© 2017 CICNews All Rights Reserved



28 thoughts on “Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

  1. Ali Baig

    I am a Medical Educationist. Now I have applied for Master’s in Medical Education,with concentration in “Health Profession Education” from the University of Ottawa. Will this Masters from Canada, help me for Canadian Immigration and getting a job in Canada. In my country,our official language and medium of education is English. I am well conversant; speaking,understanding and writing in English.

  2. S 0 Colla

    Hello David,

    I completed 7 months of paid training with my current employer before gaining 8 months experience on my current salary. It is an NOC category B job. Does the 7 months count towards my minimum 1 year of work experience, or do I require an additional 4 months in my current role before I can apply for Express Entry?

    Warm Regards,


  3. Mohamed Ali

    Hi am Mohammed Ali from kenya currently am jobless but i have plans to move to canada which way possible please . Thank you in advance

  4. M K Saju

    Dear David,

    With my latest update on CRS tool assesment, I have got 358 points but am still waiting for increasing it to the best I can before I apply. My query is, I worked previously for Software Testing in IT and now willing to work in a Call Center at a BPO, due to job loss in resident country. Will this affect my chances for Provincial Nomination or any adverse effects on change of job field for any chances of receiving an ITA.

    Should I always be in a particular job field for better chance.

  5. MJS


    I am a Pakistani citizen. My sister and her husband are Canadian citizen and stationed in Ontario. My sister recently sponsored my parents and they obtained Canadian immigration. I was just wondering if anyone of them could help me and my dependents in obtaining Canadian Immigration.

    Thanks & regards,

  6. Imran

    Will I still be offered ITA (Invitation to Apply) if I do not have a job since the last 2 years.

  7. syed ahmed

    when 3 years requirement for nationality will be a law .i want to know the exact date

  8. syed ahmed

    what is the exact date of fall 2017 when 3 years requirement for nationality will be effective

We welcome your feedback

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.