CIC News > Latest News > General > Quebec prioritizing work permit processing in 24 occupations Work permit applications for foreign workers in these occupations will go to the top of the list for processing in Quebec.

Quebec prioritizing work permit processing in 24 occupations Work permit applications for foreign workers in these occupations will go to the top of the list for processing in Quebec.

Font Style

Font Size

International students Pour lire cet article en français, cliquez ici.

Quebec is giving priority to temporary work permit applications in certain occupations that are in-demand during the coronavirus pandemic.

The province is also waiving minimum recruitment requirements for 23 of the 24 priority occupations. Normally Quebec employers must demonstrate that they have attempted to fill open positions with local talent as part of a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

However, given the demands brought on by COVID-19, the province is removing the recruitment requirement and prioritizing the following occupations as of June 10:

Get help with Canadian work permits

  • Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (NOC 3012)
  • Specialist physicians (NOC 3111)
  • General practitioners and family physicians (NOC 3112)
  • Allied primary health practitioners (NOC 3124)
  • Pharmacists (NOC 3131)
  • Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 3211)
  • Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants (NOC 3212)
  • Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists (NOC 3214)
  • Other medical technologists and technicians (except dental health) (NOC 3219)
  • Licensed practical nurses (NOC 3233)
  • Other technical occupations in therapy and assessment (NOC 3237)
  • Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates (NOC 3413)
  • Other assisting occupations in support of health services (NOC 3414)
  • Light duty cleaners (NOC 6731)
  • Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers-retail and wholesale (NOC 6331)
  • Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers (NOC 8252)
  • General Farm Workers (NOC 8431)
  • Nursery and Greenhouse Workers (NOC 8432)
  • Harvesting labourers (NOC 8611)
  • Industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers and related workers (NOC 9462)
  • Fish and seafood plant workers (NOC 9463)
  • Labourers in food, beverage and associated products processing (NOC 9617)
  • Labourers in fish and seafood processing (NOC 9618)
  • Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511) *prioritized, but minimum recruitment requirements still in effect

LMIA applications must be submitted to Service Canada and MIFI simultaneously.

Quebec’s immigration department, the Ministry of Immigration, Francization and Integration (MIFI), requires all LMIAs to be submitted in French, except for in-home caregiver positions.

Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) can help employers with the French requirement.

LMIA exempt in Quebec

Quebec employers do not need to have an LMIA if the temporary foreign worker they are hiring meets the following criteria:

The temporary foreign worker must also fall under one of the following categories:

  • they are seeking to extend the work permit for their current employer;
  • they are seeking to renew the work authorization with a new employer in Quebec;
  • they are a foreign student with a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and a job offer in the province;
  • they are a work permit holder under the International Experience Canada (IEC) program and:
  • are seeking to extend the work authorization for the current employer;
  • seeking to renew it for a new Quebec employer.

There are also other situations where employers do not need to have a LMIA, as per Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Under this act, there are also situations where temporary foreign workers may not need to apply for a work permit from IRCC.

Employers wishing to hire temporary foreign workers that do not meet these criteria must follow the regular LMIA process for hiring foreign talent in Quebec.

Get help with Canadian work permits

Need assistance with the Temporary Work Permit application process? Contact

© 2020 CIC News All Rights Reserved