Expedited work permits under CUKTCA

Shelby Thevenot
Published: May 25, 2021

U.K. nationals are now able to apply for expedited work permits to work in Canada.

The post-Brexit trade agreement between Canada and the U.K. came into effect on April 1, 2021. U.K. nationals who were previously covered under CETA are now eligible for work permits under CUKTCA, which stands for the Canada-UK Trade Continuity Agreement. These work permit programs allow for expedited processing because they do not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

If you are a U.K. national already working in Canada under CETA and you want to extend your work permit, you have to fill out a new application for CUKTCA.

The Canada-U.K. trade agreement is modelled after CETA. Here are some of the programs available to U.K. nationals, which immigration officers will process under CUKTCA.

Get help with Canadian work permits

Business visitors

There are two categories of business visitors: short-term business visitors and business visitors for investment purposes.

Short-term business investors can stay up to 90 days in a six-month period. They may come to Canada for the purposes of a specific project. Some of the duties they may carry out include meetings and consultations, research and design, or marketing research, among others. They cannot come to sell goods or services, receive remuneration from a Canadian source, or be engaged in the supply of a service, with some exceptions.

Business visitors coming for investment purposes must be an employee in a managerial or specialist position. They are responsible for setting up an enterprise, but not to engage in direct transactions with the public, nor receive payment from a Canadian source.


Key personnel involved in an investment can stay in Canada for one year, with the possibility of an extension.

The investor provisions apply to applicants who:

  • will establish, develop, or administer the operation of an investment in a capacity that is supervisory or executive;
  • are the investor; or
  • are employed by an enterprise that has committed or is in the process of committing a substantial amount of capital.

Contractors and professionals

Contractual service suppliers and independent professionals may be able to come to Canada through CUKTCA. There are some differences in what sectors the two categories may be eligible for, for instance, financial managers may not apply as independent professionals.

In general, both need to be supplying a service for no longer than one year, and contracted to provide an eligible service. Also, both categories of applicants must have a university degree or a qualification demonstrating knowledge of an equivalent level, and if required, professional qualifications to practice an activity according to the regulations of the province or territory where the service is supplied.

Intra-company transferees

When companies want to transfer key personnel to Canada, they may do so under the Intra-corporate (company) provisions. Eligible applicants must be either senior personnel, specialists, or graduate trainees.

These personnel may stay up to three years, or the length of the contract. There may be a possibility of an extension for up to 18 months.

Engineering and scientific technologists

Engineering and scientific technologists who have a job offer in Canada, may be eligible under the agreement. The employer needs to submit the offer of employment through the Canadian government's employer portal, and pay $230 employer compliance fee.

Both categories of technologists need to demonstrate that they have the qualifications to be carrying out their duties in Canada. There are different criteria for technologists applying as contractual service suppliers, and independent professionals. The key difference is that contractors need to be an employee of the U.K.-based enterprise for at least one year, with three years of professional experience. Independent professionals are self-employed, and they need at least six years of professional experience.

There are also specific criteria for each sector. Engineering technologists need at least a three-year post-secondary degree from an officially recognized institution in engineering technology. Scientific technologists also need a three-year credential from a recognized institution in the discipline of agriculture, architecture, biology, chemistry, physics, forestry, geology, geophysics, mining or energy.

Get help with Canadian work permits

© CIC News All Rights Reserved. Visit CanadaVisa.com to discover your Canadian immigration options.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Related articles
IRCC to introduce new automated tools for faster PGWP and work permit extension processing
A woman looks into a camera with two professional looking people behind her. IRCC is set to introduce new automated tools to assist with PGWP and WP processing.
Most popular options to come to Canada from the United Arab Emirates
Multicultural business team putting their hands together in the middle of a circle while standing and smiling
I’m coming to Canada on a TRV. Can I bring my family with me?
A happy family of three relaxing in the lounge and being playful together
Top 10 questions about Canada’s work permit process
Toronto skyline
Top Stories
Express Entry’s targeted occupations: how many agricultural and agri-food workers does Canada really need?
The trends of immigrant employment in Canada
Canada’s international student population continues to soar
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Study
Canada’s international student population continues to soar
student studying
Senators release new report on improving the integrity of Canada’s international student program
Four members of Canada’s Senate released a report on September 20, outlining how to strengthen the integrity of the country’s international student program.
Study in Canada: What we know about IRCC’s proposed Trusted Institutions Framework
trusted institutions framework study in canada
IRCC extends transition period for distance learning measures to December 2023
Student completing distance studies online.
Link copied to clipboard