How to send staff to Canada through Intra-Company Transfers

Daniel Levy
Published: March 29, 2022

If your company has a parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate in Canada, you can send key personnel to the Canadian location through an Intra-Company Transfer (ICT).

ICT work permits are initially valid for one year and may be eligible for renewal. If the worker qualifies, employers are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) requirement.

Both the company and the transferee must meet certain qualifications to be eligible for the ICT.

Schedule a Free Work Permit Consultation with the Cohen Immigration Law Firm

Company requirements for ICT

In order for a company to be qualified for an ICT, it needs to be operating in Canada. It is not enough to just have a physical presence. The Canadian and foreign locations must be providing goods and services on an ongoing basis.

There may be some flexibility allowed for start-ups. In specific cases involving the transfer of senior managers or executives, Canada may accept that the address of the new start-up is not yet secured. The company may use its lawyer's Canadian address until the executive can purchase or lease a location.

Also, start-ups must have realistic plans to staff their new operations and be financially able to start a business in Canada and pay employees.

When transferring executives or managers, the company must demonstrate it will be large enough to support executive or management functions.

When transferring a worker with specialized knowledge, the company must ensure the work is guided and directed by management at the Canadian operation and demonstrate that the company is expected to be doing business.

Intra-company transferee requirements

Intra-company transferees may apply for work permits if they:

  • are employed by a multi-national company and seeking to work in a parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate of that company in Canada;
  • are being transferred to a position in an executive, senior managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity;
  • are transferring to a Canadian location that has a qualifying relationship with their current company, and will be working at a legitimate and continuing establishment of that company;
  • have been employed continuously (via payroll or by contract directly with the company), by the company that plans to transfer them outside Canada in a similar full-time position for at least one year in the three-year period immediately preceding the date of initial application.
  • are coming to Canada temporarily;
  • comply with all immigration requirements for temporary entry.

If the transferee has not had full-time work experience with the foreign company, immigration officers may consider other factors before refusing the applicant on this basis alone. Some of the other considerations could include the number of years of work experience the applicant had with the foreign company, the similarity of the positions, and the extent of the part-time position. Officers will also look for signs of abuse of the intra-company transferee provision.

Schedule a Free Work Permit Consultation with the Cohen Immigration Law Firm

© CIC News All Rights Reserved. Visit to discover your Canadian immigration options.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
IRCC to increase cost-of-living requirement for study permit applicants
A group of students in a library look pose for a picture. Canada has recently made new changes to its international student program.
Canada’s unemployment rate rises as November sees equal employment gains and losses
A multi-ethnic group of people brainstorming on a project. Canada's November LFS shows yet more persistent labour shortages.
Receiving WES Credential Evaluation for Employment, Higher Education, or Licensing in Canada
Join CanadaVisa and WES for an opportunity learn how a credential evaluation can help you reach your educational or professional career goals in Canada.
The 20 most livable cities in Canada for newcomers
Victoria, British Columbia
Top Stories
Nigerian students critical to ongoing success of Canada’s international education sector
Canada extending international student off-campus work hours policy until April 2024
If I gain Canadian permanent residence, do I have to become a citizen?
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Citizenship
If I gain Canadian permanent residence, do I have to become a citizen?
A man stands on a viewing deck at Banff national park in Alberta.
What are the benefits of a Canadian passport?
A man holds his passport up at the airport as he travels through customs. Canada has one of the most recognised passports from any country around the world.
My parent is a Canadian citizen, but I was born outside Canada. Am I eligible for proof of citizenship?
The Canadian Flag flies in full in front of the Parliament of Canada, the Peace Tower is seen in the background on a cloudy day in Ottawa.
Am I eligible to become an Overseas Citizen of India?
The Bandra Worli Sea Link is seen passing over the Mahim Bay, with the city around it. Dadar, Prabhadevi, Lower Parel, Worli, Matunga, Mahim and Bandra can be seen.
Link copied to clipboard