How to visit Canada this summer even if you have a criminal record

Daniel Levy
Published: May 11, 2022

If you believe you are criminally inadmissible to Canada, don't lose hope. You may still be able to take your vacation to Canada this summer.

Canada lifted border restrictions for fully vaccinated tourists late last summer. This year will be the first full summer of open borders—provided you meet the government's definition of fully vaccinated and are not otherwise inadmissible.

But even if a past conviction looms over your record, the Canadian government offers a few pathways to overcome inadmissibility.

Schedule a Free Legal Consultation with the Cohen Immigration Law Firm

Temporary Resident Permit

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is a temporary solution for those who wish to come to Canada with a criminal history. In order to be eligible for this option, you need to demonstrate to the Canadian government that the benefits of your trip outweigh the risks.

The TRP is a solution for those seeking temporary entry to Canada. It can be a faster process than applying for criminal rehabilitation. A number of individuals choose to apply for a TRP and criminal rehabilitation at the same time.

Criminal Rehabilitation

Criminal rehabilitation can resolve criminal inadmissibility permanently. If Canada approves your criminal rehabilitation application, your criminal record will no longer prevent you from visiting Canada⁠ as long as you do not commit another crime. At least five years must have passed from the completion of your most recent sentence before you can apply for rehabilitation.

The application fee you pay will depend on the severity of your crime. It costs $200 CAD to apply for rehabilitation for non-serious criminality and $1,000 CAD for serious criminality.

Deemed Rehabilitation

If at least 10 years have passed since you were convicted of a non-serious crime, you can be deemed rehabilitated. In this case, you may automatically be deemed rehabilitated under Canadian law and not need to submit an application before visiting.

However, many people consult with a Canadian immigration lawyer before their trip to get peace of mind. A lawyer may be able to write you a legal opinion letter to help you avoid unnecessary misunderstandings by CBSA officers once you arrive.

Legal Opinion Letters

Legal Opinion Letters can be drafted by a Canadian immigration lawyer with details concerning your charge and the lawyer’s legal analysis of the situation. The letter explains the legal matter, identifies risks and relevant Canadian law, and explains why you should be deemed admissible to Canada.

Legal Opinion Letters can be used to support a TRP or Rehabilitation application.

Although Canada has strict rules regarding criminality, there are good reasons to encourage tourism. In the fourth quarter of 2021 alone, tourism added $15.4 billion to the Canadian economy, according to Statistics Canada. Therefore, Canada has an invested interest in accommodating entry for tourists.

Preparing in advance by understanding your options to overcome criminal inadmissibility can help you get a smooth entry into Canada.

Schedule a Free Legal Consultation with the Cohen Immigration Law Firm

© CIC News All Rights Reserved. Discover your Canadian immigration options at

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
Changes to Canada’s inadmissibility fees starting December 1st, 2023
Canadian flag over Quebec city
Understanding serious driving offences as a newcomer to Canada
Happy man driving car looking into rearview mirror
Celebrities like the Fugees denied entry to Canada: The importance of applying to overcome inadmissibility
The Fugees
Common offenses that can make you inadmissible to Canada
Edmonton skyline
Top Stories
Expediting the hiring of foreign workers as an employer in Quebec
Can I travel before I receive my Canadian PR Card?
Five things to do in your first week as an international student in Canada
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Study
Five things to do in your first week as an international student in Canada
A diverse group of cheerful female college students sitting in front of a university building, talking, smiling
Nigerian students critical to ongoing success of Canada’s international education sector
Nigerian flag
Canada extending international student off-campus work hours policy until April 2024
Group of multiethnic classmates in casual clothes smiling and analyzing data on netbook while gathering near table and working on project in university library
IRCC to increase cost-of-living requirement for study permit applicants
A group of students in a library look pose for a picture. Canada has recently made new changes to its international student program.
Link copied to clipboard