8 FAQs about Educational Credential Assessments (ECAs) from WES applicants immigrating to Canada

World Education Services
Published: February 8, 2023

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires applicants who are pursuing Canadian immigration pathways, the Express Entry pathway in particular, to submit an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).

Every ECA submitted by a prospective Canadian immigrant is reviewed by IRCC to assess the equivalency of educational credentials (degrees, diplomas, certificates, and so on) earned in other countries, and to compare them to Canadian standards.

World Education Services (WES) is one of five organizations designated by IRCC to provide ECAs (not including ECAs for doctors and pharmacists) for degrees and diplomas earned abroad.

Note: WES does not evaluate occupational or trade qualifications. For more information about IRCC immigration programs, we advise applicants to visit IRCC’s website.

Explore getting an ECA from WES today

Here are answers to eight common questions WES applicants have asked about ECAs.

1) What does an ECA allow me to do in Canada? 

An ECA is required to apply to certain IRCC programs. With an ECA from WES, applicants may:

  • Meet IRCC immigration program Physicians and pharmacists should be aware of the requirements they need to immigrate to Canada. See our note for additional information.
  • Meet Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) requirements.
  • Qualify for IRCC’s Agri-Food Immigration Pilot Project.
  • Gain recognition for their education so they can pursue their other goals in Canada.
  • Store their report and verified academic documents in their WES Account for future use.

2) How long does it take to obtain an ECA from WES? 

An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) takes about thirty-five (35) business days after we receive, review, and accept all  required documents and fees.

Explore getting an ECA from WES today

3) Can I have all my credentials evaluated and included in an ECA report? 

ECAs typically only evaluate an applicant’s highest earned international academic credential. An applicant who would like to have all their academic credentials evaluated can make such a request to WES after they submit their ECA application.

Although ECA applicants typically only need to submit their highest earned credential for evaluation, there are some exceptions to this requirement. More details regarding these exceptions and other new information about ECAs can be found in this blog post: New Requirements for Canada’s Educational Credential Assessment (ECA).

4) Can I add another recipient to my ECA application? 

Yes. WES applicants can make this request through their WES Account. Applicants can select Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) offices, certain immigration lawyers, or licensed immigration consultants as recipients of their ECA either during the initial credential evaluation application or later.

5) Can I send my ECA report to a U.S. recipient or institution? 

No. WES only sends an applicant’s ECA to IRCC, PNP offices across Canada, certain immigration law firms, and licensed immigration consultants.

6) Can I send my standard (non-ECA) evaluation report to IRCC? 

Yes. Applicants can make this request through their WES Account.

Explore getting an ECA from WES today

7) How can I renew my expired ECA report for IRCC? 

An initial ECA from WES is valid for five years from the date of issue. To extend the validity of a WES ECA, applicants can sign into their online WES account and order an additional copy of the ECA for IRCC. This will extend the validity of the applicant’s ECA for an additional five years.

8) Will I ever need to upgrade my ECA to a WES standard evaluation report? 

WES can help applicants immigrating to Canada upgrade their ECA when needed. ECAs clearly state that the report is to be used for immigration purposes only. However, there may come a time when employers, colleges, universities, and professional licensing bodies in Canada require information that is not included in an ECA.

A WES Course-by-Course (CxC) or Document-by-Document (DxD) evaluation report can fulfill this requirement. Read this blog post to learn more about CxC and DxD reports and how you can upgrade an ECA.

Get started on your WES ECA today!

© Want to advertise on CIC News? Click here to contact us.

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Related articles
Newcomer access to credit in Canada improves over time, according to new study
newcomer credit article september 2023
Canada’s non-permanent resident population is 2.2 million people
Statistics Canada has released new data on the number of NPRs.
How long does it take for Canada to process visa applications from India?
A picture of a Canadian visa
IRCC invites candidates in first ever category-based Express Entry draw for agriculture and agri-food occupations
Waterfall near Victoria on Vancouver Island.
Top Stories
Parental education and income have positive effect on educational attainment of childhood immigrants
Newcomer access to credit in Canada improves over time, according to new study
IRCC to introduce new automated tools for faster PGWP and work permit extension processing
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Work
IRCC to introduce new automated tools for faster PGWP and work permit extension processing
A woman looks into a camera with two professional looking people behind her. IRCC is set to introduce new automated tools to assist with PGWP and WP processing.
How to immigrate to Canada as a transport worker
Happy truck driver looking through side window while driving his truck
Top 10 questions about Canada’s work permit process
Toronto skyline
Canada ranked the most attractive destination for immigrant entrepreneurs in 2023
Link copied to clipboard