Will a divorce or annulment of my marriage end my Canadian sponsorship undertaking?

Julia Hornstein
Published: January 2, 2024

When you agree to be a sponsor, you must sign an undertaking, which is a promise to provide financial support for the basic needs of your spouse or partner and their dependent children.

Sponsor your family for Canadian immigration

Basic needs include:

  • Food, shelter, clothing and other needs for daily living
  • Dental care, eye care and other health needs that are not covered by public health services

In addition, before signing the undertaking, you must ensure that the person you are sponsoring will not ask the government for financial help. If they receive social assistance in Canada, you will have to pay back what they received during the time you are legally responsible for them.

The length of undertaking for a spouse, common law-partner or conjugal partner is 3 years from the day the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident. The length of undertaking for residents of Quebec is different from the length of undertaking for the rest of Canada.

Importantly, the undertaking is a binding promise of support, meaning that it is your responsibility to support the applicant for the length of the undertaking period, even if your situation changes.

The undertaking will not end or be cancelled, even if:

  • You become divorced, separated or your relationship with the sponsored person breaks down
  • You or the sponsored person move to another province or country
  • The sponsored person becomes a Canadian citizen
  • You have financial problems

What to do if the relationship turns out to not be genuine?

When applying to sponsor your spouse or partner, your relationship is assessed by an Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) officer. The officer needs to be satisfied that a genuine relationship exists.

In order to prove a genuine relationship, the applicants must submit certain documents as evidence of proof of the relationship. Evidence can include wedding invitations, proof of joint ownership of residential property or other documents showing the applicant and sponsor live at the same address or have joint accounts (e.g. cell phone bills, tax forms).

A spousal relationship or common law partnership that is not genuine or that was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege will be refused.

In some cases, sponsors and foreign applicants enter into “marriages of convenience”, which is a marriage or relationship whose sole purpose is to let the sponsored person immigrate to Canada.

IRCC officers are trained to recognize genuine immigration applications. Moreover, Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are in a marriage of convenience for immigration reasons may be charged with a crime.

There may be situations where a Canadian citizen or permanent resident is a victim of marriage fraud. Marriage fraud occurs when the sponsorship process is complete. Once the sponsored person is granted permanent residence, the sponsored person will leave and end the marriage or relationship, essentially using the sponsor to immigrate to Canada.

If you are a victim of marriage fraud, you must contact IRCC and explain the situation. Although you will still be responsible for the undertaking of the person you have sponsored, there will be other consequences for the sponsored person and IRCC will be responsible for determining how to deal with the fraud.

IRCC can:

  • Charge them with a crime
  • Ban them for Canada for 5 years
  • Remove them from Canada
  • Take away their status as a permanent resident or Canadian citizen

The Canadian government provides information on protect against immigration fraud. They recommend you being careful when marrying someone and sponsoring them to come to Canada, especially if you’ve just met, they want to get married quickly, they’ve been married many times before or they have not shared much information about their background or family.

Sponsor your family for Canadian immigration

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at media@canadavisa.com
Related articles
Canada Dental Care Plan will soon open to more Canadian residents
Newcomer families with children may now qualify for free dental care.
Is the Super Visa a good alternative to the PGP?
A man, son and grandfather lying down together.
IRCC to introduce advanced analytics and automation to speed up processing for spousal and partner sponsorship
A couple outside in the snow on a winter day.
Canada announces measures to help individuals impacted by the ongoing crises in Haiti
A closeup of two people holding hands, with a field in the background.
Top Stories
Canada’s immigration system proposes changes to the PGWP
The top three universities in Canada according to the 2025 QS World University Rankings
Live Webinar: A Clear Path to Academic Achievement in Canada Redefined
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Live Webinar
Live Webinar: A Clear Path to Academic Achievement in Canada Redefined
Attain a great score on your language assessment and increase your chances of admission to a Canadian university.
Watch the Webinar: Finding your first job in Canada
While the prospect of finding employment before arriving in Canada may seem overwhelming, we're here to help and provide useful tips that may help you along this journey.
Watch the Webinar: CAEL – Test Structure and Strategies to Help You Ace the Speaking Component
Watch the Webinar: Tax Tips for Newcomers
Filing Taxes
Link copied to clipboard