IRCC ends flagpoling services for PGWP applicants

Edana Robitaille, Asheesh Moosapeta
Updated: Jun, 21, 2024
  • Published: June 21, 2024

As of June 21, Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has announced that foreign nationals are no longer able to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) at their Canadian port of entry (POE).

This change is effective immediately.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller says this measure will reduce “flagpoling” and allow border officers more time to complete “enforcement activities." It is also expected to reduce delays for travellers and speed up the movement of commercial goods between Canada and the United States.

Schedule a Free Work Permit Consultation with the Cohen Immigration Law Firm

Further, the department says that the change will increase “fairness amongst applicants” and it will continue to find other ways to reduce the use of flagpoling in future.

“While we continue to support and recognize the contributions of international graduates to Canada’s labour market, ‘flagpoling’ is unnecessary,” says Minister Miller. “The time and effort required to process applications from ‘flagpolers’ takes officers on both sides of the border away from their crucial role in protecting the safety, security and prosperity of Canadians and Americans. This measure will help prevent this practice, while maintaining the integrity of our immigration system.”

Some applicants use flagpoling to avoid the sometimes lengthy processing time for their PGWP. To address these concerns, IRCC says they are:

  • speeding up processing times for in-Canada work permit applications
  • simplifying online application forms and processes so foreign nationals can continue working while they wait for a decision on their new application
  • authorizing workers to start working for a new employer right away, rather than waiting to have their new work permit application processed before changing jobs

According to IRCC, PGWP applicants accounted for one-fifth of the foreign nationals who attempted to flagpole From March 1, 2023, to February 29, 2024.

What is flagpoling?

Flagpoling is a legal practice, by which eligible temporary residents (those on a work/study permit, or with a visitor visa/electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)) can receive immigration services by exiting and returning to Canada through a designated port of entry (POE), within 24 hours. The process provides an opportunity to skip long waiting periods and processing times that can often follow applying online or by paper to IRCC. An additional advantage is being able to converse with an immigration official face-to-face, which can be useful when addressing issues with an immigration application.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) advises that newcomers use flagpoling services carefully, as wait times at POEs can be long in their own right—with potential immigration implications if temporary residents mismanage their departure and re-entry into Canada.

Among other eligibility criteria (including meeting requirements for the immigration pathway applied for, and basic entry requirements to Canada) newcomers engaging in flagpoling are strongly encouraged to maintain valid legal status or have maintained status in Canada when leaving and re-entering. Out-of-status newcomers who attempt to use flagpoling services can risk deportation.

Recent changes to all flagpoling services

Recently the Canadian and United States governments announced changes to flagpoling services in general as a response to growing wait times and traffic at key POEs.

As a result of these changes flagpoling services at 12 Canadian POEs will have reduced hours of service.

To see a full breakdown of hours of service for all Canadian POEs, find IRCC’s dedicated webpage here.

Schedule a Free Work Permit Consultation with the Cohen Immigration Law Firm

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
From work to study: How Americans can begin their Canadian journey
An American and Canadian flag blowing in the wind against one another.
New data suggests growing demand for temporary foreign workers in several Canadian industries
This illustrates the continuation of an upward trend – save for 2020, due in part to the COVID-19 pandemic – that has persisted since at least 2016.
IRCC’s update on its plan to attract global talent
Sunlight on an airplane wing
IRCC invites 1,800 candidates in third Express Entry draw this week
More Express Entry candidates have received ITA's from IRCC in the department's latest round of invitations.
Top Stories
From work to study: How Americans can begin their Canadian journey
8 Tips for the Listening Component of your CELPIP Test
IRCC proposes amendments that require students to re-apply for a study permit if they change schools in Canada
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Study
IRCC proposes amendments that require students to re-apply for a study permit if they change schools in Canada
A group of students listening intently in a classroom.
Montreal ranks among top ten best cities for international students
Montreal skyline
Permanent Residence in Canada is not guaranteed for international students
A group of students sitting outside with the college building in the background.
Five free settlement resources for international students in Canada 
Two students walking off the bus while using their phones and smiling.
Link copied to clipboard