Canadian Immigration Questions and Answers with Attorney David Cohen

David Cohen
Published: March 13, 2018

Every month, Attorney David Cohen answers a few general Canadian immigration questions submitted by our readers. These questions cover immigration programs, eligibility, processing, language requirements, investing in Canada, landing, admissibility, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and much more.

1. I work for a corporation in the EU that is looking to expand into the North American market. To this end I would like to travel to Canada in order to do market research and meet with prospective business partners. Does CETA provide for such a scenario?

Yes, market research and business meetings are two of the activities in which one might engage as a short term business visitor under CETA. You can find a full list of such activities at this dedicated page. Stays in Canada as a CETA business visitor must be limited to 90 days within a given six month period.

2. Can a married principal applicant apply with a non-accompanying spouse and then later sponsor the spouse after landing as a permanent resident?

Yes. However, one should keep in mind that, even if a spouse is not accompanying the principal applicant, he or she will have to undergo a medical examination and provide the required police certificates. Non-accompanying family members should also be factored into the calculation of your family size when you are assessing the amount of settlement funds you will need.

For more information on spousal sponsorships, you can click here.

3. My children and I are UK citizens with UK passports. My wife is a Canadian citizen with Canadian passport and we wish to visit Canada in a few months time. We all reside in the UK. Is it necessary for my children to apply for Canadian citizenship to enter Canada temporary or can they enter Canada temporarily on a UK passport like myself with a Canadian eTA?

Most foreign nationals need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport.

Citizens of the United Kingdom holding valid UK passports will require an eTA to fly to Canada, regardless of their age. It should be obtained before you travel to Canada. To apply for an eTA you must have a valid passport, a valid credit or debit card and an email address. It costs $7 CAD to get an eTA and only takes a few minutes to apply. Approved eTAs are valid for up to five years.

4. I have a Canadian multivisa for 10 years. I was in Canada for five months and three weeks with my parents who have PR status in Canada. I then left Canada for a week, but now need to return on a family matter. Can I return next week to Toronto and get the right to stay another six months in Canada?

An individual can come back to Canada, if holding a multiple-entry temporary resident visa that has not expired. However, if the Canadian immigration officer at the Port of Entry believes that an individual is centralizing their mode of living in Canada, entry as a visitor can be denied. Ties that a visitor has to their home country will weigh in the decision.

To find out if you are eligible for Canadian immigration, fill out a FREE assessment form today.

© 2018 CICNews All Rights Reserved

Share this article
Share your voice
Did you find this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Did you find this article helpful?
Please provide a response
Thank you for your helpful feedback
Please contact us if you would like to share additional feedback, have a question, or would like Canadian immigration assistance.
  • Do you need Canadian immigration assistance? Contact the Contact Cohen Immigration Law firm by completing our form
  • Send us your feedback or your non-legal assistance questions by emailing us at
Related articles
Canada announces measures to help individuals impacted by the ongoing crises in Haiti
A closeup of two people holding hands, with a field in the background.
How fast will IRCC process my temporary residence application in 2024?
Father working from home with young child
Why IRCC may refuse your visitor visa application
passenger in the airport terminal hall looks at the plane
Can I travel outside of Canada as a temporary resident?
male traveler taking selfie portrait on the hill with mount assiniboine in national park at BC, Canada
Top Stories
Canada announces measures to help individuals impacted by the ongoing crises in Haiti
British Columbia and Manitoba issue provincial nominations in latest PNP results
Canada’s immigration minister proposes new legislation for Canadian citizenship by descent
Join our free newsletter. Get Canada's top immigration stories delivered to your inbox.
More in Citizenship
Canada’s immigration minister proposes new legislation for Canadian citizenship by descent
Immigration Minister Marc Miller has introduced legislation to update Canada's citizenship laws.
Canada celebrates Citizenship Week 2024
Canada is marking its annual citizenship week.
Canada processing proof of citizenship applications faster than pre-pandemic standards
A father and son at a Canada day parade, surrounded by Canadian flags
Study: Fewer recent immigrants are seeking Canadian citizenship
Young family with children having fun in nature on a picnic
Link copied to clipboard